Wednesday, 11 January 2012

swooning along

I made a button (of sorts - I know it's clunky, but I am no tech wizard). Click on the pic and you can download it from flickr and use it in your sidebar.

swoon-along button

Tami made a button too. Again, click on it and download from flickr. Make sure you link back to the flickr group  so people can find out where the fun is happening!

Swoon Along button

(note - tech wizards - if you can make a button that involves HTML shizzle and the like then please do and pop it in the group discussion. I am certainly not against a more spectacular button being produced, you know, that might be a subtle hint, or a plea for help)

Yesterday I started cutting my fabrics...



I have skinny quarter yards and a few half yards of habitat by Jay McCarroll. I completely messed up my first block's cutting by hoping for the best and not paying attention to how I could squeeze enough of the pieces out of the fabric, so (instead of a more organised look) I'm going scraptastic and cutting all my pieces now, then arranging different fabrics as I go along. I'm hoping it works, but I love the scrappy look of this block so I kind of know what I want to achieve...

Can you believe we have over 300 members already! Isn't that crazy?! I had hoped for around 40. I thought if I can play with 40 peeps then I'll be so stoked. 300 swooners!!! Wow. That is one heck of a lot of swoon action, and already there are blocks flooding in to the pool. I'm so crazily excited to see everyone's fabric choices and blocks as we go along. It's not too late to join in - like I said before, this is not a strict quilt a long, go at your own pace, use the group to help out with any questions you have and end up with a quilt when you end up with a quilt. I will be charting my progress week by week and also post some of the issues I have (if any - ok...I've already had one, I didn't concentrate on my cutting!) and hints to help you along the way.

So, first tip of the quilt along;
Cutting - before you cut your FQs measure them, if they're on the smallish or wonky side you might struggle to get all your pieces cut out. They need to be true 18 x 22" FQs. 


I'll be back next week with my first block, but keep an eye on the flickr pool and discussions and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it!

Oh - and look, Camille blogged about us! She's as excited as we are and keeps checking in on the group to see what we're up to!

16 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

Suh-woon! Can't wait for my fabrics to arrive. I think I can pick up a couple at Sew Mama Sew tomorrow! I can't wait to get cutting!

Tanya said...

Erin also did a scrappy swoon block with Jay McCarrol in November! I actually really like the scrappy swoons!

mascanlon said...

Well I dug out the pattern, I think you have me hooked for sure. Next...figure out the fabrics...

Rachel said...

I started cutting last night too! I bought a kit (first kit I've ever purchased!) so that makes things a little easier, but I'm still nervous about doing something wrong. I have these "jitters" every time i start something new so I know they'll go away. Can't wait to see everyone's blocks!

Live a Colorful Life said...

so I was swooning in my sleep last night. Um...that sounds kinda weird. But you know what I mean. Anyway, I had been cleaning and organizing my sewing room. When that happens, I always find fabulous stuff I forgot about. I found THE perfect (for me) fabric for the Swoon-along. So now I'm shopping my stash for the rest of the fabrics so I can start cutting!

Anna said...

just ordered my remaining fat quarters I wanted, now to decide on the sashing, having a hard time deciding, but I'll just have to wait and see!

Jacey said...

I'm finishing up another WIP first, and then I'm going to tackle my remaining three blocks. Can't wait! I joined the flickr group today, too.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Going to go get my background fabric tomorrow, and then I will be happily swooning along as well. I have a lot of sewing to catch up on.

**nicke... said...

i am almost finished quilting mine! i can't wait to post finished pics! ;)

notes of sincerity said...

Hi Katy. :o)
I finished my first block!
Yippee! :o)
This is so much fun!
Thanks a bunch for heading it up.
hugs, Trish

Flying Blind... said...

I need to get the Constellation finished, then the Made In Cherry first - I may not have all my faculties by then!

Richard Healey said...

I am new to quilting where can I find the pattern for that block?

Kimberly said...

I just joined in... now to see if I can stay with it!

emedoodle said...

I guess I'm too late for the swoon-along - finished quilting mine yesterday and on to the binding!! :) I did work out a way to cut from long quarters rather than fq's though. there's a picture of my cutting diagram here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emedoodle/6307289842/in/photostream

It's no problem for fabric 2 but requires piecing some of the pieces for fabric 1. Either way it works and I used it in mine. :) Hope that helps! :)

sewtakeahike said...

I must join in, Katy! Thank you so much for the hand holding and push to start my swoon quilt!

Kari said...

I'm doing it too! I just posted another tip about the block construction to my blog. Basically, you can get the same effect but not piece so much if you want to.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!