Thursday, 2 February 2012

paper piecing

Issue 8 - Paper


Issue 8 of Fat Quarterly - with a theme of paper piecing. It's out now!

Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 07.34.27

I hold my hands up - this scares the pants off me.


Cozy Cottage Pillow

As does this...

Fat Quarterly Issue 8 - This is so cool being part of it

And this...


Fat Quarterly Issue 8 - The Quilter's Clock

Although I'm not scared by this one...


Summersville Tree Pillow

or this...

Spring Clean quilt

I can happily hand sew bits of fabric around paper shapes all day long (actually, not during the day - it's saved for the evening) but tell me to use my machine and a printed picture of something and I'm lost.

Kerry's teapot looks like a gentle easing into what scares me hugely, don't you think?


Teapot Fancy cozy for Fat Quarterly Issue 8


If you like paper piecing, or want to master it then this issue of FQ is for you - plus Delores is planning a sew along so it's a perfect way to have some hand holding.

Pop and get yours here and don't forget to check out the sew along (plus - you know Kerry? Well, she'll be teaching at the Fat Quarterly retreat in June. yup. I may be lurking in the background for that workshop pretending to tidy or something trying to get tips, if you spot me, ignore me, I'll be quiet as a mouse.

16 comments:

Eli said...

I just read my copy of Fat Quarterly 8 yesterday in bed. Wow, so many projects; I'm chomping at the bit to try everything but I think I might start with the pot holder.

Jessie @ Messy Jesse said...

your right, Kerry's teapot looks like a nice project to get to grips with paper piecing, I can't resist that lovely clock too! may just have to purchase my first copy :)
Jessie, xo

maria said...

It's a great issue. So many patterns. I'm hoping to make the clock. Did you get my email about the workshop at Patch Fabrics?

Shannon said...

I have been in love with Fat Quarterly for the past two years (I think I found it around the release of issue 2...). I also taught myself paper piecing a few months ago, but I need to add dimension to houses (you didn't think I would start with something easy, did you?) - this issue is MAGICAL!! I'm going to make my way through the projects as a way of learning the ins and outs of paper piecing and how to design a template! Big thanks to you and the rest of the FQ team for another amazing issue!!!

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Just read my issue on my lunch break. Lovely stuffs! The house is epic, and scary! Might start with the clock :-)

Kelsey said...

I've been reading through it too and paper piecing is scary!! I just need to jump in and try it out

Spoolhardy Girl said...

Just got mine! I'm not scared a bit. That's the beauty of being completely without a clue. I don't know enough to be afraid! :)

Kerry said...

Promise teapot is straightforward- I minimised the bits where precise points matching was needed. I will pretend I haven't seen you at the workshop

Lynne said...

This stuff makes me want to run the other way, but that clock and teapot are calling me!!!

Flying Blind... said...

I want to be in Kerry's class so much!! I want to sit up front, bring her an apple and everything! x

**nicke... said...

i bought mine this morning! i can't wait to make that star pillow!

Noas' Libellule said...

I love the tree pillow case. So beautiful... If you are scared I haven't got a chance!

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

What a great post ... I felt exactly the same way about each of these projects! I really really really want to make flossybossy's spring clean quilt ... I think it is brilliant and beautiful.

Coffee pot too ...

I think this issue is a standalone perfect guide to paper piecing. I can't wait to get stuck in.

After the Swoon ...

Katy Cameron said...

I love foundation paper piecing, can't wait to try the freezer paper method now :o)

Rachael Rabbit said...

I'm utterly grateful for an introduction to this website. I LOVE paper piecing.

Sylvie - Madame Créative said...

Oh Katy,
you can really start with the clock! There is nothing really difficult in it, and you can definitely make it in an afternoon! And I am here if you need more explanations ;)
You will see that paper piecing is super fun!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!