Tuesday, 28 February 2012

spring carnival - the templates

template 2


I finished my quilt top! It was going to be a huge pillow, but then I thought 'I could turn that into a nice little baby quilt' so I did, by appliqueing a few shapes falling from the bottom (which was previously the side) and I just love how that gives it such a modern feel. So different to this one, don't you think? It finished up at 32" x 42", which is probably the smallest quilt I've ever made, and it feels a little wrong to be so small...and kind of pointless...unless I had a baby (and then it would be perfect), but it's a class sample for the Sewing Summit and therefore PERFECT for stuffing in my bag and carrying around. I just need to get it quilted and bound and it's all done.

spring carnival

A while ago I promised templates and now I'm delivering.

I had these acrylic templates made from 4mm thick acrylic, and they're great. You can see right through them for fussy cutting fabrics, they're so thick and sturdy that you can rotary cut right round them (or use them to draw round - which is what I did, and then I cut out my fabrics with scissors).

sping carnival templates

They are designed for using with 2" paper shapes (when I say 2" I mean each edge of the shape is 2" - not the width of the shape itself), and have a 1/4" seam allowance all the way round. I like to use a 1/4" seam allowance, it's what you use in regular piecing, both by machine and hand, and it doesn't waste fabric. It's nice and tidy, makes removing papers easy, and helps the finished piece lay flat.

spring carnival templates

You can buy pre-cut paper pieces from here or print and cut out your own using this site. Spring Carnival uses a 2" hexagon, square and equilateral triangle. The traditional block is actually called Ferris Wheel, I found it in this book (that book is a fantastic source for traditional blocks - it's showing as out of stock on Amazon, but if you can find it, it's worth buying) and loved how I could change the way it looked simply by changing which shape was the 'background'. In this piece the hexagon is the background and the prominent shapes you can see are circles but in the silent cinema version the triangle is, and the prominent shape looks more like a flower. Next up is the square, I'm making a start on that this week.

The set costs $15 (plus shipping) and includes 3 professionally laser cut acrylic templates - 1 hexagon, 1 triangle and 1 square. They are for the fabrics, not for the papers - you would need to get those sorted yourself (using the links above). You can get them direct from my etsy shop.

22 comments:

Jeni said...

Yay, yay, yay! :) The falling bits are so cute!

Terri said...

Love this so much Katy. Where did you get the acrylic ones.

Krista said...

um, LOVE the falling bits. how freaking clever. I'd be interested in bigger templates... I've recently started cutting EPP shapes really big and sewing them together by machine. Only cause my right arm was about to fall off from all the hand-stitching, lol. Having clear templates would make fussy cutting a breeze, for sure.

Bolo heads said...

If I am planing on attending your class in SLC I was wondering, if I am patient can I get them from you then.

Fran said...

I love this quilt, the grey background is great, and the falling bits suit it so well!

Leanne said...

There are 3 copies of the book at www.chapters.indigo.ca (our Canadian version of Amazon) if anyone is looking.

And may I please have a set of the templates? Thank you.

Quilting In The Cold said...

Gosh that is a stunning quilt, the grey really makes the colours zing and the tumbling blocks are brilliant.

**nicke... said...

look at your beautiful manicure. you would be horrified to see my fingernails right now. is that regular polish or shellac?

Noas' Libellule said...

That is an amazing quilt!!

Richard Healey said...

I love that quilt with the blocks falling off the end that is such a cool idea.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.com

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, this looks fab, love the ones tumbling off the bottom.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I have that book (found it for £4 at a Guild day!) and it's fabulous - I've not seen that block though, probably because there are another 5499 vying for attention! I love this quilt - the shapes tumbling off the bottom is such a wonderful idea, you're a genius!! (But we all knew that, right?!)

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

this is so frickin sublime. tumbling geometry yum.

templates look fab and really great quality ...

Shannon said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this quilt top and the tumbling pieces!! Fan-freakin-tastic!

littlebluecottage said...

It's really almost criminal for you to post two...TWO incredible works in the same post. The tumbling pieces on grey is Ah May ZING!! I can't wait to see it quilted. I'm so amazing by how productive you are!

Rachel said...

Oh gosh. Could you please just stop...stop showing us such beautiful projects when our to-make lists are already miles long. It's heartbreaking. I think I might need to quit my job so I can quilt more (I keep saying that...it ain't gonna happen).

machen und tun said...

Katy, GREAT quilt!! love those "fraying" sides.. and congrats on your templates!!
Claudia

Nicky said...

That baby will be a maths genius for sure! Inspired ending and great drama in the colour choices!

Pin It and Stitch said...

I'm off to order the templates now.
I have just checked amazon.co.uk and they have 4 copies of the book in stock. May just have to add that to my wish list.
Just to keep my busy in the meantime i've downloaded some paper tempates. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I just LOVE this quilt! Off to your etsy shop to order the templates. My favorite part is the little falling pieces. Genius!

selfsewn said...

This a super baby quilt, very stimulating with all the colours!

Heather said...

I'm making a quilt exactly like this using salt air. If only I had known about the templates a couple of months ago...how easy my life would have been. LOL. Quilting is a LABOR of love though isn't it. Great templates!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!