Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Fat Quarterly Issue 9

ManyHandsfull1

Issue 9 of Fat Quarterly is coming this week. Subscribers should expect access to their copies in their in-box today and single issues will be available to purchase later this week.

The theme for this issue is Kids and Teens - creating with and for children and teenagers. It's perfectly timed with the end of school in mind - my project, above, was made with the help of my youngest's class. Everyone contributed a hand print that was then appliqued onto a simple bordered strip quilt. This quilt will be gifted to Ginger's teacher at the end of term, after he has helped write a label for it that I will embroider and stitch on to the back of the quilt.

I have never seen Ginger be so enthusiastic about sewing - he really isn't interested normally, but this project was something we could do together, which meant it did take forever to complete and the stitching isn't quite so perfect as I would like, but the bonus of creating it together means it will be a beautiful reminder of his teacher's first ever teaching post and class of children, and hopefully something she will treasure forever.

There are sneak peeks of this issue's projects on the Fat Quarterly blog all week.

All fabrics used were Brrr by Laurie Wisbrun for Robert Kaufman fabrics - to be released in June. Stay tuned for a superb giveaway featuring these fabrics next week!

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Gorgeous!

Danielle Weiss-Raichel said...

Very very nice! such a sweet reminder! And I can't wait to enter the giveaway :)

Jen Arnall-Culliford said...

Wow! What an incredibly lucky teacher. That will be treasured forever.

Judith, Belfast said...

What a fab quilt and a lovely gift for your child's teacher! I'm sure it will be treasured! Jxo

diane said...

This teacher is very lucky to have Ginger in her class and you as his mom. What a fun project. I am sure she will treasure this gift.

Flying Blind... said...

Oh go on up the ante for teacher presents! I am sticking with a box of Roses and the pleasure of knowing they will not have my kids in their class again in September!

Poppyprint said...

What a super fun quilt and gift for the teacher!! Can't wait for the issue. Stalking inbox...

Ramona said...

What a totally super gift! Sounds like a lot of great memories were made in the process.

Material Mary said...

I have been silently stalking your blog for a spell now and I have to tell you that you have an amazing talent and I am so impressed with what you make and your creative talent. Thank you.
Mary

Live a Colorful Life said...

Ooh, I'm so excited about the new issue. I've kinda been stalking, waiting and wondering when the new issue will be available. And Brrr is such a gorgeous fabric line.This quilt is super cute!

Archie the wonder dog said...

What a fabulous end of year present!!

Kathie said...

Very nice, what a lucky teacher!

Katy Cameron said...

Such a cool idea, and love that Brrr line!

Cherie said...

I'm in love with that quilt!

Also I've added some new fabrics into my swap shop. If you're interested feel free to check it out =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/cheraldines-swap-shop.html

Bethe said...

Wow - I love the combination of stripes and circles, and the fact that it's such a personal gift for a teacher makes it even better. Well done! And... the colors make it even cuter. A home run.

Dawn said...

This quimt us really darling! Luv it!

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

Katy!!! Its phenomenal! What a lovely gift for a special teacher.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive