Tuesday, 22 May 2012

cutting corners

cutting corners

A (not so) little bit of a peek of the quilt I made for the retreat special of Fat Quarterly which is coming soon (although I should know this I am really not sure when it is - what with market and the retreat and a heap of other stuff going on over in Monkey Towers my brain has only got enough room for minimal information storage. I'm a bit like a very old computer and not very efficient. Someone needs to re-boot me and take some of the crap out of my hard drive, please).

Any hoo - this little quilty is only small at 37" square, but if you have a brain of a reasonable size you could make it as big as you like just by adding in extra fabric.

cutting corners

It's all made with moda fabrics - summersville by Lucie Summers, and Bella Solids and backed with a piece of the dotties extra wide quilt backing fabrics in scarlet. It's like a festival of Moda! Let me just tell you - the scarlet dottie is PERFECT for summersville. Apparently they're not re-printing it (I'm hopeful that's because they're bringing out more fun backings, keep your fingers crossed for me) so stock up now, especially if you plan on buying/or have bought Summersville already. Just remember to pre-wash it - it's red, it bleeds a little (only a little and shrinkage is minimal. I didn't pre-wash the summersville fabrics in this quilt and then when I did wash the finished quilt it stayed all lovely and flat, there wasn't any twisting as you might expect with a pre-washed backing and an unwashed front). It was pieced and quilted with trusty old Aurifil 50WT. You know the fact that this thread is thinner is really a great thing with bobbin re-fills. It lasts longer. So I'm going to add that to my ever growing list of why I only use Aurifil. I hate changing the bobbin mid quilting, and if I can do it less then I'm sure as heck going to try!

You can pick up Summersville from here and here. Hurry hurry - these are selling out FAST and once they're gone, that is pretty much it. You don't want to miss out on them, they're fab. And I'm not just saying that because I love Lucie.






18 comments:

**nicke... said...

I got my summersville last week and i love it so! it is so much prettier in person than it is in pictures. i agree, everyone should get it! i love your dottie backing also~ i need to stock up on it too!

Trudi said...

I'm having trouble cutting into my Summersville! But I must get me some dottie backing - fast! It's a gorgeous wee quilt! Look forward to seeing it next week! Eeek!

Marit said...

You're fab, and so is this quilt!!!
; )

Cherie said...

Great quilt. I love the pattern.
I got some Summersville directly from Lucie =D


I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

Teje said...

Beautiful and so simple!

Sarah said...

Are they stopping all the dotty backing? I just used the grey and its wonderful!
Great quilts :-)

beth lehman said...

i LOVE those! brenda is sending my summersville any day now. can't wait!

Debbie said...

What a great use of Summerville! It looks great and I love your quilting!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Funny post. Seemed like all your brains were functioning when I met you. :)

This quilt is great. It encourages me to cut into my summersville. And to try to get some dottie backing.

Emy said...

Love the simplicity of the corner cut off the square.

dolores said...

We received the red and teal dottie backing in our shop...love them! What's really cool is this Windham Spin that came in last week....6 BRIGHT colors (tone on tone) and black and white!! AWESOME stuff!! I think the fabric Gods have heard your prayers!:)

I love your wee quilt...but the first thing I thought of where those "thought/conversation" bubbles you see on cartoons!:) Love how you quilted it!

Isisjem said...

I couldn't see what the fuss was about with Summersville. I mean it looked ok. It just didn't blow me away and then I got myself a charm pack and thought to my little old self: Ahhh sometimes you really need to fondle the fabric in person to really get it.

Flying Blind... said...

'allo stranger - looking good x

diane said...

lovely quilts. Thanks for the heads up on the red dotties. I just ordered a bunch

Katy Cameron said...

Oh it looks fab!

lu summers said...

This quilt is amazing Katy! Thank you for the lovely post! I'm glad everyone is loving the fabric so thank you everyone xxx

Michelle said...

OK I'm convinced - I need to get some Summersville.

And I so hear you on the Aurifil! Used some for the last quilt I quilted and OMG. Just so smooth and trouble free and AMAZING.

What kind of batting did you use in this quilt? Because I really love the flatness of it all.

Jacey said...

I got mine! I haven't cut into it yet, but my patience is fading!

Sorry you need a reboot. :/

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive