Thursday, 3 May 2012

the ladies of the kitchen quilt guild

SV part trois

I have some friends (yes, don't look too surprised) and together we form a little collective known (to ourselves) as the kitchen quilt guild. We meet up once a month or so at Lynne's house, in her kitchen. Some of us have to go to work on weekdays, so don't have the pleasure of coming for every meeting, others of us have been pregnant for what seems like an eternity so missed out on a few meetings because of pregnancy poorliness.

At one of our meetings those present decided it might be nice to make the preggers one (from now on we'll call her Justine, because that's her actual name) a quilt. Lynne, Karen, Mandy, Laura and I made blocks (all of the 2.5" scrap squares I had cut already and stashed. I've still got enough for at least 3 more of these quilts). I assembled the quilt, long armed Chris quilted it, and today as you are reading this, we'll be handing it over to Justine. She has seen the quilt in progress but has no clue it's for her, and when I pile it into the car today I'll just pretend it's for show and tell. Sneaky, huh?

SV part trois

I am hoping the leftover from pregnancy hormones make her cry. Selfishly, I think it's better to have the recipient of a hand made gift cry with joy, it makes you feel quite smug and awesome. If she doesn't cry I'll let her off though, but I am not ashamed to admit I would be slightly disappointed.

The back of the quilt is like a jungle. This is an Alexander henry print that Lynne had (from Sew Fresh Fabrics). It's perfect for this quilt, all leafy and gorgeous and yummy.

Back of SV part trois

My embroidery skills are not too hot, by not too hot I mean shockingly terrible. Good job cosmo threads in variegated rainbow colours makes my somewhat slapdash words look pretty (I even marked with a pencil, and still it looks like a child wrote it). Yay for cosmo threads. (The date is Justine's birthday - serendipity that it falls so close to her baby boy being born and this quilt being finished).

label

Congratulations and huge huge love to Justine from us, her friends. Baby H was just over 11 lbs, Justine had only gas and air and not a single stitch. That lady deserves a quilt!

44 comments:

Blueberry Park said...

is she crying yet??? it looks amazing, Katy and sorry I couldn't be there for the grand handing over x

niveas said...

It's so a beautiful work! And your kindness and thoughts are absolutely wonderful. I hope that Justine enjoys her quilt from your great kitchen quilt guild :-) (I wish I had something like that... Here in Switzerland all quilt guilds I know are a little bit boring...)

Jenny G said...

What a wonderful gift! I love that it is scrappy but with a pattern. You are such thoughful friends...I bet you ALL cried at the presentation. (I'm a little teary eyed here and I don't even KNOW you!)

verykerryberry said...

I am imagining an ocean of tears! What a beautiful, beautiful gift

Annabella said...

So incredibly and unbelievably fabby - don`t be hard on your embroidery skills. Wait until you see mine!

Sally said...

I love all of the tiny little squares! I've been seeing them a lot lately and it has inspired me to take charge of my scrap bin and start cutting. I figure once I have a little pile, I can stitch a bunch together and eventually there will be some sort of quilt.

Debbie said...

Darling post and a lovely quilt.

Jo Ann said...

Beautiful gift!

Cathy said...

just so darn lovely and perfect after such a delivery! Good grief! I shudder to think!

Elena said...

Great quilt and generous gift! Admittedly, I'm the same way.....tears make me feel appreciated :)

mascanlon said...

Such a happy quilt and I love surprising my friends with something. I have a kitchen group too...we call ourselves the Millie girls because we started meeting regularly in 1999 making a Millenium quilt. And we even cry at birthday gifts. sweet!

krista said...

i like your take on the tears, too funny. i hope she loses her shit over it. i would.

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

You got tears from me! What lovely friends! Can't wait to join the kitchen quilt guild :-)

Karin said...

love these 'scrap vomit' quilts :) I know I am going to have loads of 2.5'' squares left after I finish my hexagon quilt - I have got to make myself one of these :)

Rosa said...

Haha.. you gotta love sassy women who want to make other women cry *lol*
But that quilt should make a lot of tears.

Catherine said...

what a fabulous gift and made for her by friends: how could she not cry!

Meredith Daniel said...

Congratulations to Justine! The quilt is just gorgeous! I want to be part of your guild! Sucks that you live across the world.

Di said...

The Kitchen Quilt Guild have made a stunner. Of course she will cry!

littlebluecottage said...

Oh holy crap...over 11 pounds?! That lady deserves a PARADE! And a massage, and some wine.

Beee-youuuuteeeful quilt. As always! :)

Tina

dolores said...

Aren't you all sneaky making it right under her nose?!:) The label looks great....I say if you can read it or know what it is then you have succeeded!:)

I agree with Jenny G...that was a brilliant idea to have the pattern with the scrappy...I need to find this on your flickr page and fav it for future reference!

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Oh yes, she cried. A job well done my friend x

Poppyprint said...

Well, I'll not have another baby to get a quilt out of you lot, but I do promise to bawl my eyes out!!! Yippee for Justine to have such wonderful, caring friends. I know how much she covets scrap vomit. She must have freaked out! And stopit with the I can't embroider schtick - the label's so lovely!

Kristy said...

Aw you big old softy! Gorgeous just like you girls are too. X

Justine said...

Oh my goodness I cried!

I have admired this quilt whilst its been made and even told Katy how I loved the backing fabric when she collected it from the quilters!! These girls are the best and I love them even more so for doing this for me.

Katy failed to mention in this post that they also presented me with 2, yes 2 baby quilts for Hunter made from Summersville - amaze balls!

Fran said...

Lovely story x

Annabellouise said...

Lucky her. What you need is a bit of comfort after all the trauma of giving birth. How thoughtful of all of you. Love the colours.

angharad handmade said...

Awwww what an amazing gift - pregnancy hormones or not, that would have you in tears!

picciolo said...

what a wonderful present, you are right though it sounds as if she certainly deserves it!!
: )

diane said...

I wish I had friends like you guys. I want to be a kitchen quilter! Oh and as far as crying goes, if Justine did not cry at the sight of that gorgeous quilt let's hope she shed at least one tear in popping that 11 pound baby out

Flying Blind... said...

Yay for Justine, baby and quilt x

Spoolhardy Girl said...

She totally cried, right?
11 lbs? C'mon. That can't be right. Now I'm crying!

Lisa said...

Amazing friends, you're a very lucky bunch & what a lovely surprise.

Cherie said...

The quilt looks amazing. Can't believe you used 2.5" squares to make it! =D

Trudi said...

Yayyyy! Tears of joy indeed!

Katy Cameron said...

Yay, so glad she obligingly cried for you lol It's fab :o)

Live a Colorful Life said...

How sweet of you to do this. What a great quilt! And what super cool friends. I want to be in a group like this...

Lucy Loves Patchwork said...

This is beautiful! And how nice for Justine to have such awesome friends and if she's reading this...congratulations on your new baby...Hunter is a lovely name!
Great post...it's made my morning :-) x

Nicky said...

Glad you weren't disappointed! Tears all round I hope!

Prof. S said...

Wow -- for the great quilt, wonderful friends, and very big baby...WOW! I hope mama and baby are sleeping peacefully under this sweet quilt. I know that such a generous and beautiful gift would have made me shed a few tears :)

Yvonne@Nellie's Niceties said...

Happy tears all round I'm sure. :) A heart warming story to make anyone's day. Beautiful work ladies and congratulations to Justine and family. :)

dottycookie said...

What a gorgeous and kind and thoughtful gift - and such a brilliantly traditional thing to do. I feel rather tearful myself!

Eva said...

Such a wonderful and generous gift! I love this design and it is so meaningful when made from the stash of your friends with their own hands!

Audrie said...

I read that on Justine's blog and thought that was so sweet!

And umm... an 11 lb baby? Makes me want to cross my legs forever.

Danielle said...

Awwww you girls are so lovely.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive