Thursday, 24 May 2012

quilt market re-cap {part 1}

I guess I started my Quilt Market recaps already, with my (somewhat excited) post on the new Liberty Lifestyle fabrics. Heck - am I glad you're as excited as me.

Rather than starting with booths I'm going to give you my predictions for the coming year and the things that grabbed me the most (other than the Liberty fabrics - they got their own blog post because they were truly the best thing to happen at Market).

1; Text Prints
It's not going to surprise anyone when I say that text prints are all over the place. We can't get enough of them.

mama said sew

Obvious ones are the Mama Said Sew fabrics from Sweetwater, which are even greater in the flesh than in pictures. I love the look of this line, and whilst I'm sure I won't use all the prints because there's not enough colour for me, the text prints will be bought in multiple yards, in multiple colourways.

madrona road

michael miller

There were more text prints at Michael Miller thanks to Violet Craft's new line, Madrona Road, and featured in cream puff, Bon Appetit and urban grit. as well as over at Blend in the Crabtastic collection.

My absolute favourite text prints from Market came from Kokka - sewing themed newsprints with metallic print text. Before you turn your nose up at that, think about how much everyone loves silver gel pen, now scribble some silver gel pen onto a bit of black fabric. And admit I'm right. Metallic prints might be sneaking into the must haves. Bet you never thought that would happen, right? Seriously though - start to imagine other fabrics with just a hint of sparkle. I did almost scream at Melody Miller that she must have glitter next time. She's looking into the possibility with the Kokka folks.

kokka

I also did the scratch test - no rub off, no glitter face, no worries. Kokka's metallic fabrics get a big thumbs up.

2; non-solid-solids
Whether it's with Kaufman's yarn dyed Essex linen, or a printed blender like Timeless Treasure's Sketch prints, there's going to be more and more of the non-solid-solid.
I'm a huge fan of them, they add depth and texture and make a quilt come alive.
Michael Miller had a similar cross hatch print to Sketch, called Pencil Check which had a really great range of colours, Haystack from Madrona Road was a big favourite of mine (I'll be stocking up on that one in multiple yards), and Painters Canvas (Michael Miller) is so good it makes me weep a little.

green bee patterns

You can see what I mean in this quilt from the Green Bee patterns booth. It's a gorgeous quilt and a wonderful pattern (it'll be available soon). It was my favourite quilt at market, but if that background had been something solid it wouldn't have had the same feel. It jumps at you, it has depth, movement and you just want to go right on up and touch it. I think people are more and more aware of the possibilities of alternative background fabrics, I'm not saying that solids are becoming redundant - that is never going to happen - but I think we are becoming more experimental in our choices. Choice is good. If you've never used a printed blender before, give it a try. I'm pretty positive you won't be disappointed.

3; crabs are the new fox
I'm not entirely sure what I think about that. Foxes get thumbs up from me, crabs make me curl my toes.
Still, it can't be denied - there were crabs all over the place. (Notice my lack of crabby photos though...that sums up my feelings on the matter, I guess). If you are a crabby fan, spot them in Crabtastic from Blend (below), Shore thing from Emily Herrick for Michael Miller, amongst others.


crabtastic

4; nautical is nice

This is another theme that doesn't grab me too much, probably because it's an extension of the crabby theme and I'm just not a huge fan of all that seasidey/beachy/coastal look - it's too refined for me, you've all seen me, I'm not refined, I like colour and a whole heap of it. But if you are a lover of nautical you are going to be really happy this year.  Seven Seas from Cloud 9 (actually, I really love this one - it has something that makes me smile), Sarah Jane for Michael Miller, Blend, Emily Herrick for Michael Miller - the seaside theme is all over the place.

sarah jane

5; the fox will never die
Thank the Lord. He's still about and still slinking his crafty little way through the fabric companies.
Monaluna has the most amazing alphabet animal print in her new collection, Fox Hollow, and Birch were previewing a great new line that's due out in August called Scamper (below)

birch






33 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for this - I'm also excited about the non-solid solids (you know I'm still looking for the perfect grey). And the text prints, I'm planning on buying acres of the newsprint. Crabs - meh. Hope they scuttle away soon! :)

Danielle said...

Oh and that circle/diamond quilt. Saw that somewhere else in blogland today. In. Love. So is the solid in that one a painters canvas?

Emily said...

Thank you Katy. LOVED your recap!

Aylin (Nilya2011) said...

Thank you so much, Katy, for your gorgeous report about the market. So much informations and impressions, fantastic...
Aylin

Sarah said...

Loads of things to get excited about! (although like you, not so much with the seaside and crabs...)
Great recap, thanks Katy!

Rosa said...

There are great projects.Thanks for sharing photos!!

Taya@TypeB said...

Great recap! Bring on the text! (And even though you don't like crabs, Lucy's Crab Shack and Crabtastic have some great text prints, FYI.) Vinyl records and rotary phones - swoon! I love the crabs. But I come from landlocked state and when I was a kid, every other summer my family would road trip out to Maryland and eat crabs. It was not at all refined, though :) Looking forward to the next part(s)!

Di said...

Oh I have enjoyed reading this post and all the info it contained. Thanks Katy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Katy, for sharing your photos and impressions of Market. Those text prints would be so fun to center in a hexagon flower or even use as a background. Can't wait for part 2!

Lisa
Lalexander733(at)gmail(dot)com

Nanette Merrill said...

I love knowing the trends. Very good post Katie. I can always count on you to get to the heart of things.

kheli said...

This may be the best Market-recap I have yet to read. GREAT detail! Thanks so much!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Funny about the non-solid, solids... they've been around for traditional quilters for ages. But in lines that the younger, modern quilters have not even looked at. But after the explosion of solids love they are gaining new ground.

Lynn said...

I think your predictions are dead on. I love the text prints. I hope they don't get "dated" looking too soon though. I think the non solid solids would have a longer lasting look. Putting more different fabrics in a quilt could also give it a longer lasting appeal. You know, a good old postage stamp scrap quilt will never go out of style.

DianeY said...

Great recap! The metallic text prints sound fun-wish I had some right now!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Loved seeing market from your perspective. I agree with the non-solid-solid. I picked up a fatquarter stack from Riley Blake and I can hard wait to rip into it. Agree with the fox. Also agree with nautical/beachy, etc. I love going to the beach but at this point not so much interested in adding it to my quilts. Although when things start popping up, I can often be persuaded to change my mind. Also, I'm planning on buying yards and yards of anything texty.

Flying Blind... said...

Well as a crabby old Cancerian, I like a mollusc or two! Beware the pincer x

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing more printed blenders as I find solids are generally quite tough to hand sew through so anything that delivers on colour and has a softer handle is a win for me!
Love the seaside, hate crabs!

Mindelicious said...

This was by far the best market recap post I've read! Thank you for sharing the trends you noticed. You *almost have me sold on metallic fabric. I just have these visions of marbled magenta blenders with gold stars and swirls on it. *shudders*

Ali M said...

Great post, I love your take on reviewing! I'm really looking forward to that green bee quilt too.

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the predictions, and sparkly Melody Miller? Yes please!

mascanlon said...

I enjoyed your recap...think you are the only one I read so fR to say some politely like..."it's OK but not my thing". And that's OK, it's how we get som many choices and variety, the market can target lots of themes and styles. I too love text and non solid blenders so hurrah they are here in a big way!

Sew Lovins said...

Love your quilt market posts....I am besides myself with excitement for that metallic text to be released and so so excited 'bout those gorgeous liberty fabrics. So jelly it'll be across the pond so much earlier than over here in the states!!

diane said...

I am weeping just thinking about the possibility of seeing new fabrics in person. Hopefully next spring market!

Eva said...

Thank you for the great recap and pictures! I'm a big fan of painter's canvas, too! It's my favourite almost solid along with quilter's linen. :-)I like the idea of some sparkle here and there! I bought some sparkly lecien fabric some time ago and made drawstring bags with it and the sparkle stood the washing etc. really well! Exciting to see how those trends will develop!

Marit said...

A lot to look forward to! Love your recap and thoughts on trends - best marked report I've read!
And somebody posted a picture of two of your lovely quilts in Cloud 9's booth. They are both so fresh - love your designs! Please keep posting more pictures...

; )

Liz DandeliondD said...

Great Quilt Market recap - I think yours is the most informative and interesting I have read so far.

Love the newspaper print. I would love to get my ickle mits on some of that.

xxxx

Saska said...

The black sewing-print bag would've came home with me, and the template for that pink triangle (tri-giggle) quilt pattern.

Merran said...

When you said pattern coming soon were you referring to the circles on spot background? What about the diamonds circle? Is that a pattern? I love love love it.

Dennise said...

I really love it. Thanks for the time and effort for the post.


Monkey mia tours

Sheila said...

Thanks for that lovely tour - love text prints, non slid solids are brilliant and that Green Bee pattern is super.

Pat Bravo said...

It was a treat meeting you Katy! The two days flew by in an instant.... But I could enjoy getting to know you a bit at the show and a bit more at the hotel bar. I can't wait to be there in June with Walter so you can show us how is the quilting world in England :)

Georgie Porgie said...

Hey Katy, the final image is that from Birch? I love the caravan fabric! gotta stash a bitta this away end of the year :)

Kris said...

Have to admit I'm awfully partial to a stripe or two, so nautical is for me!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive