Wednesday, 2 May 2012

The Village Haberdashery


I met Annie last year at Fall Quilt Market. I'd 'known' her for a little while before from blogland and she always seemed such a lovely person. When she said she was starting her own UK based online store I had a feeling it would be a good one, whenever we spoke via email her taste in fabrics seemed to be spot on, and she was very focused on what she wanted to achieve with her shop.

It's been open for a little while, and Annie says it's doing well, which is always reassuring in tough financial times like this.
You may already know about Annie's shop, but in case you don't, I want you to go and visit and have a look around. She has done a fantastic job with the website, it looks wonderful but it's also easy to navigate and has a great selection of different fabrics, essential and haberdashery items as well as yarn, needles and notions for knitters and crocheters.

Let me introduce you to The Village Haberdashery. You can find all kinds of floss and embroidery supplies (including Anna Maria Horner needlepoint kits - which are beautiful, I saw them at market last year and wanted them all)



Gorgeous bundles of fabrics, and a great selection of fabrics to buy off the bolt including velveteen, voile, organic and regular cotton in both prints and solids.



Plus there are fun little extras that you might not need but should treat yourself (or a friend) to every once in a while, and are also perfect for pointing husbands in the direction of when it's Christmas or Birthday time.


What I especially love about Annie's shop is she has it all incredibly well thought out. It's a one stop shop, there really is everything you need for a project here.
Most of us are multiple layered crafters - we might quilt but also knit, embroider, sew garments, crochet...all of the areas are covered in The Village Haberdashery. It reminds me of a British Purl SoHo, beautifully laid out, great quality items, there's no hint of cheap or nasty or shop fillers. Annie took a long time putting her stock together, choosing just the right items to create a shop that screams quality and class.



I think there is sometimes a tendency for people to think opening a shop is simple enough, you buy a ton of stock, you whack it all on a basic website template and off you go. The Village Haberdashery is different. There aren't stacks upon stacks of different types of fabrics, the collections are focused and hand picked. I really like that in a shop. There are so many different fabrics that come out at any one time, how do you narrow it down to a capsule collection? If I had a shop I think it'd be a complete mess - too much from too many collections and all over the place. Annie appears to be incredibly disciplined in her approach, which means she has a gorgeous looking store, with a fantastic selection of items.


You really should head over and check it out. And add The Daily Stitch, the shop blog, to your reader.


10 comments:

Amy said...

I wholeheartedy agree. Gorgeous fabric, orders arrive quickly and sent in yummy packaging (you'll know what I mean when you get a package from her shop) and you can tell it was sent with a smile.

::cupcakesandbiscuits:: said...

I totally agree, paid my first visit last week and got lovely fabric which was incredibly easy to choose. The site looks lovely. My order came super fast too, what more can you ask for.
Must check out her blog.
Ali x

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

She does have a lovely store. Its very well considered. And the website is lovely. Simple things :o)

Eva said...

Thank you for the tip! The online store is really beautiful with a great selection and I follow the blog now, since it's really inspiring.

Jo @ a life in lists said...

Lovely website, really well thought out. I am finally having to actually look at online shops as I contemplate moving away from the Eternal Maker (sob!) in the summer, so I'll keep an eye on Annie's shop.

Kelly said...

The shop is as lovely as Annie is! BEautiful stock and fab customer service.

dottycookie said...

I found her just last week, and now I can't remember who else recommended here. It really is a beautifully laid out site.

diane said...

Lucky you to have such a beautiful store nearby...

Cherie said...

Thanks for the review I've looked around the site a few times now =D

Sarah said...

Annie has a lovely shop, and she's rather lovely to deal with too :-)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive