Monday, 11 June 2012

Katy's adventures in London (and Kansas City)

I had the absolute pleasure and honour of visiting the design studio for Liberty last week and not only got to look at where the magic happens, so to speak, but was talked through the process of how a design comes to life from an idea to the finished fabric and I even got to peek at the designs for the next collection that will be previewed in Houston this Fall (and I'm sorry - but I won't even give you a hint as to what they're like, just be sure that if you like this first collection, you'll love the second collection, if you like Liberty prints per-say, you'll not be disappointed, and if you don't like Liberty prints as a rule - prepare to be converted).

liberty lifestyle design process

Sholto, the man behind the designs for the Liberty Lifestyle quilting cottons (Bloomsbury Gardens, the first collection will ship this August/September.  I'll be sure to compile a list of stockists as soon as it starts shipping) is completely fascinating. He has more artistic talent in his little pinky finger than I have in my entire body. In fact I would bet money that he could draw better blindfolded and with his arms tied behind his back than I could even if I concentrated really, really hard and tried my absolute best. Without sounding a little bit fangirl, he's the sort of person you could talk to for hours and hours about what he does and how he does it.

You can read all about my adventures in the hallowed halls over on Fat Quarterly today. Go on over and have a read!

constellation block


Also - if you are killing time at 4pm EST today (that's 9pm for those of us in the UK), then head over to Pat Sloan's radio show for All People Quilt, as I'm one of the folks featured in today's show. We recorded it at market and I promise it's only short, and I hope it's relatively interesting. If all else fails you can go over and laugh at how weird my voice sounds on radio. I love Pat Sloan so much - she is so great, works incredibly hard to promote all of us in this community whether we are modern or traditional or somewhere in between and I'm almost certain she never sleeps. There's a great mix of guests on the show tonight, it's always worth a listen or subscribing to via i-tunes to listen later.

16 comments:

selfsewn said...

wow what excitment for you, bet your heart was racing!

selfsewn said...

wow what excitment for you, bet your heart was racing!

Yvonne@Nellie's Niceties said...

Wow I'm seriously jealous! What an exciting experience for you. I love Liberty fabrics and am so pleased they are releasing quilting weight fabrics. What a great selection to use for a Hexy MF Quilt eh? Keep up your amazing work Katy raising the profile for contemporary quilters. :)

Laura Taylor said...

Eeeek! I'm too excited for you! Can't wait to hear more about it on weds xxx

mascanlon said...

So jealous! I am pretty sure Liberty was one of the highlights of my London trip 10 yrs ago....I just ignored all the whines to "move on"

Flying Blind... said...

I'll be listening, unless I have fallen asleep x

Mandalin said...

oh wow, you lucky, lucky woman!!

Poppyprint said...

I don't even want to know what you had to do to get into the design lab. Can't wait to read all about it!

Isisjem said...

Loving that fabric! I think it's very like some of Amy Butler's recent collections. So if people say they don't like Liberty but love AB they might have to think again.

P├ętra said...

Wow what an interesting field trip to go on! You've been so busy.

diane said...

I love your liberty block so much. I hope I can listen on time delayed because I have an appointment at 1 PST today . My friend Brigitte is being interviewed too!

Catherine said...

what a great read, and the FQ post too. very jealous that you got to go and look

Katy Cameron said...

Those sketches are just amazing, what a fab person to meet :o)

Also thanks for the templates, they arrived today!

Archie the wonder dog said...

You lucky, lucky thing!!

Cherie said...

The fabric looks awesome! Loving the first pic of the sketch then it in colour =D

**nicke... said...

lovely!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive