Thursday, 14 June 2012

the twinkling stars of cuzco

Cuzco was the site of the capital of the Inca empire. It's a city in Peru....but it's also Kate Spain's upcoming line with Moda (out in October). Personally I think this is her very best line yet - the colours are beautiful, the designs are a fantastic mix of large and small scale. Kate is really good at designing fabric - she just has this knack for getting things spot on.
I was lucky enough to be sent a layer cake by Kate (who I adore more than words could ever possibly express - she's one of the nicest people you could ever meet, she really is out of this world wonderful).
I sat petting it for too long, because I loved the line so much I wanted to make something that I loved just as much as the individual fabrics and not just another quilt that could be added to the just another quilt stack.

twinkling cuzco stars

John made one of my favourite patterns in our book, Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop, and I'd bought a body pillow in order to make my own version long before the book was even out.

twinkling cuzco stars

You don't get a good idea of just how big this is from the pictures. Maybe adding my foot will help...

it's a biggie

It's 50" long - HUGE! I made this for my very good friend Mandy, of the Kitchen Quilt Guild and Simply Solids, as it was her birthday last week. I'm not sure her husband will be as happy sharing his bed with this husband replacement but Mandy seemed quite pleased with it. You can see a picture of it on her bed on her blog. Now I want to make a second version for me.

(there is a small misprint in the pattern in the book - you need to cut 20 print squares rather than the 12 stated)

23 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful - I love Kate Spain's fabrics too, she hasn't made a collection yet that I haven't liked. The pillow is on my list of things to make (as are many of the projects in the book), the only thing holding me up is acquiring a big enough pillow. Where did you get your huge pillow from Katy?

Judith said...

I love it, great fabric but mostly I like the size of the pillow. Where did you get the pillow pad from ?

Annabellouise said...

I really like this. I have an IKEA cushion, not as long, but similar shape and may do this with it. It would look good and is a small enough project to be able to finish it relatively quickly.

Katy said...

the pillow was from Ebay - just do a search for body pillow and you'll get loads come up!

Isisjem said...

It's fab. I'm glad the others asked about the pillow because I was sat reading the post thinking where on earth do you get pillows that size from. I think it would be bigger than my bed. I'd still like it thought. Great line of fabric - will be looking out for it!

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

That is one gorgeous mahussive pillow!!

Debbie said...

What awesome work - it is lovely - and BIG!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

When my birthday comes, I want one of those - exactly the same.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Just happened upon your blog...can't imagine why I haven't seen it before! Enjoyed seeing your quilting projects--the gray background sets off the beautiful fabrics so well. Also liked your orange quilt, which really pops!
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Jo @ a life in lists said...

OMG I need a body pillow. And some Cuzco fabric. And if I get bored of Adam and kill him I can hide him in the pillow too...

Mermaid Sweets said...

It's awesome Katy! Love it and can't wait for that fabric.

mascanlon said...

Well I will have to figure out if I can convince both dog and the husband that i want the pillow in the bed!

ScissorsandThread said...

Until I saw this I didn't realise that the one thing that has been missing from my life has been a body pillow (covered in pretty fabrics obviously). Now I know. It is truly lovely.

Catherine said...

love this pillow and the fabirc is amazing

Jacey said...

It's beautiful! I'm inclined to agree with you about this being the best of her lines, too!

Flying Blind... said...

Lucky Mandy xx

Cherie said...

The pillow looks great! That really is huge. The pattern looks great too =D

celticfusionfabrics said...

oh my ... love this ... nice and huggy ...

Katy Cameron said...

I said now she had the cushion she could dispense with the other half ;o) Loving those fabrics, such a fab pressie!

CathyK said...

Katy, I love the pillow!! Love the fabric! Just love it all the way around!!

Claire Jain said...

This pillow is so great! What a wonderful gift :-) This new line from Kate look Ah-mazing! You did such a great job of showing it off!

Archie the wonder dog said...

What a great pillow/husband replacement! The fabric is gorgeous, I might have to treat myself!!

Kelly said...

I absolutely have to make one! It is fabulous Katy xxx

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!