Thursday, 28 June 2012

a welcome break

I'm incredibly busy at the minute - if you're waiting on an email from me, I swear I'll get to it shortly, I just have a plate that is piled dangerously high and a couple of deadlines in particular that are taking up most of my time and energy.

Yesterday I felt like I was going to explode. To be honest I was more likely to implode, quite quietly, by myself. When I get stressed I go very quiet. If I don't address the stress right away I'll melt down and I'm neither use nor ornament.
Yesterday was that day. Nothing seemed to be going right, I couldn't get my brain into gear, I was chasing my tail and ending up getting frustrated with myself. So I took a break, I made a coffee, and I pulled out some fabrics I'd been saving for a day that I really needed a treat and I made this.

a welcome distraction

I used Jeni's drawstring bag tutorial, with Terri's pocket addition. It was exactly what I needed. Wouldn't this be perfect to take to a class? The pockets hold all your tools, the bag itself could hold other important stuff like FQs or pincushion or something. And wouldn't they also make great gifts - with things stuffed in each pocket and a big treat or 2 inside? 

Fabrics are Fox Hollow by Monaluna which is amazing fabric. The alphabet print is genius, and I think I had to go back 4 times to look at it at quilt market. I can picture some amazing children's quilts and accessories made with these fabrics, they're just perfect. This bag isn't for a child, though it's mine. Hands off kids.
I also used handwriting paper stripe for the top of the bag, and an old repro red dot for the ties


23 comments:

Berlinquilter said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. To take a little time off is sooo important.
And what you made with that time: Too cute. In the first place I was really wondering what alphabet print you ment. But now that I found it... it definitevly is genious. Well done Monaluna... and YOU of course! Take care!

Di said...

When melt down is looming it is good to know how to take a step backwards to regain some perspective. I like the sewing bag. Make sure that you look after yourself too. Di x

dottycookie said...

I think you just designed the ultimate teacher present.

Hope today is better for you!

Sadie said...

I love the drawstring bag pattern from Jeni, but have yet to try the outside pocket addition. I agree they would make excellent gifts, and very versatile too, you could fill them with all sorts of fun stuff.
I hope that today sees you refocused and not at all overwhelmed.

Also, thank you so much for making me smile with the use of the phrase 'neither use nor ornament' my gran used to say that and I've not heard it used for a long time :-)

Sarah said...

Wonderful melty bag :-)

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's a wonderful bag - I hope you don't implode...it might make the bag yucky! Take care and don't forget to breathe!
P.S. It's unlikely but if there's anything I can do to help just shout!

Pennie said...

Know how you feel, Katy, I get days like that too, although I have to admit I usually have a big and noisy explosion first! The bag looks lovely, just the think to cheer you up, and it's great to get away from the pressure stuff and do something just for you.

Lynn said...

I hear you on the toppling to do list and deadline melt down. I just got back from four days of camp with my daughter, - no internet, no phone, no contact, just the two of us and lost of musicians. I feel that I am much calmer with my approach to my to do list this week. I really think finding our inner calm helps us deal with the flurry of "to dos".

The bag looks great.

Brenda - justabitfrayed said...

this is adorable! I just bought Jeni's pattern to make one for myself. :)

Cynthia said...

Your bag is gorgeous! I love that pattern so much that I devoted a board for them on pinterest. I haven't made on yet, but yours has inspired me to make one when I have a stressful day! lol

Collette said...

gorgeous wee bag! sending hugs your way! x

Anina said...

Love it! The fabric is so cute!

Isisjem said...

A melt down might be almost worth if if you end up with something as lovely as this!

Flying Blind... said...

Well I am hoping you have pulled yourself together by now! The bag's a beauty, and if you produce that in a meltdown mode, you are doing better than the rest of us xxx

Live a Colorful Life said...

Wonderful bag. I can't produce anything when I'm in frustrated/meltdown mode...

Katy Cameron said...

Good luck with that teetering pile (for some reason I now have a vision of you as a plate spinner in a circus, don't ask me why!) Loving the bag too :o)

Cherie said...

That's such a cute bag, loving the fabric! Hope things get back to normal soon =D

Sarah Ashford said...

Wow this bag is just fabulous! Took me a minute to work out what you meant by 'alphabet print' but then I got it :-) I hope you are having a better day today. I am having a full on time of it at the moment too, juggling quilting commitments and deadlines and my daughters party, all while looking after 2 small children!

Poppyprint said...

Hope the pile was somewhat reduced today. Obligatory sewing can sometimes get a girl down. Good on ya to have some fun.

Jeanne in Ohio said...

I found your blog through Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday link and I'm blown away by your creativity. I'm going to follow you through Google Reader, and I'm excited to keep up with your doing's.

Lisa said...

Really nice fabric choices, love the bag. Think I'll be book marking that one for later. Hope you've destressed :)

rolleiflex said...

I love the way when quilters get stressed sewing they sew something else for a bit of light relief.

Nanette Merrill said...

That is so cute. I love the pattern and the fabric. Darling little take it with you bag.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive