Tuesday, 24 July 2012

100 quilts for kids - blog hop

Swim, Bike, Quilt

Katie over at Swim Bike Quilt is incredibly passionate about what we, as quilters, can do to help those children less fortunate than our own. 100 quilts for kids is an annual charity drive that Katie co-hosts with the DC Modern Quilt Guild. This year they are running a quilt along (more info here) and encourage you to join in too!

As quilters we have a skill that might not seem very important at first, but when you curl up with a quilt wrapped around you on a cold night maybe you can appreciate how wonderful that gift of quilting is and how it's something that we could, and should share with others.

There are any number of local organisations that will be willing to accept a donation of a quilt - project linus (project linus UK) is probably the most well known, but you could ask at your local hospital, at the school your children or your friends' children or your neighbours' children attend. Or you can send to a more international group - like Katie's

Sibling's Together is my charity of choice for this year. I try to donate at least one quilt a year to charity, whether it's an auction or a donation for a cause. It doesn't take long to make a quilt for a child, and if you make it with fabrics you love it's a pleasurable experience that you'll really enjoy. I think the key is fabrics you love - if it's a quilt that you would make for your own child, it's a quilt that is good enough for a child in need. 

made in cherry quilt along top

My quilt top has just come back from Charlotte who quilted it for me, and now I'm going to bind it and get it sent off to Sibling's Together ready for one of their Camps either later this year or next Summer. 

P7247730

If you're looking for a really quick and easy quilt pattern for a charity quilt the Made In Cherry pattern (the one I used) is ideal - you can find all the details on this free pattern with alternative size options too, from the quilt along posts here.

Or if you want something really fast and simple maybe this one is more up your street? It's nice and simple and makes a lovely quilt out of fat quarters.

Fit for a Princess Quilt 





12 comments:

Justine said...

Oooo the quilting looks great! I'm going to attempt to quilt my own for siblings together!!

nicolette at dutchcomfort said...

That’s an awesome star quilt to make a child happy with!

Lynz said...

I posted my Siblings Together quilts yesterday - the ones made with your fabrics! I'm hoping someone other than me gets some pleassure out of them - I really enjoyed making them. Hopefully they're all permeated with good feelings and some love osmoses out at the other end!

dreamalittledreamalot said...

The quilting is amazing on that one! A lovely thing to give away :)

Flying Blind... said...

Love your Made In Cherry and the recipient will do too x

Katy Cameron said...

Sure any of these options would be well appreciated :o)

giddy99 said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

mascanlon said...

It's so important to give back no matter what our skill is and it's one of the most important things we teach our kids. Thanks for the reminder Katy.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Thanks, Katy. I love your Made in Cherry quilt...

Lexilooo said...

YAY DC Modern!!! Yes, I am biased, since I'm a member here :)

Last year I made one quilt to donate, and this year, I am hoping to finish two in time! I'm still a bit slow!

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

This I a beautiful quilt. I am planning to make one for Siongs Together too and am thinking about patterns. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive