Friday, 13 July 2012

granny squares - finished!

Finally the British Summer held out long enough for me to get some photos - by that I mean it didn't rain all day!

Here she is, back from Sarah, bound with a Michael Miller clown stripe (those stripes have to be among the best ever - great basics, if you can find them).

granny squares 1

I love these 30s repros by Darlene Zimmerman. Love the cute little details in them, the mix of colours and how they work in this block. This collection is on sale right now at Lola Pink fabrics - less than $6 a yard.

granny squares 2

I love the moda extra wide dotty I used for a backing too - those dotties just get better with washes, so soft. Snap them up while you can too, they've been discontinued. Brenda has a whole heap and they really do work out great value for money and the quality is amazing (don't forget you can also use KATY15 for 15% off orders over $35 at Pink Castle fabrics).

granny squares 3

And I love how Sarah quilted it in a scrolly swirl design that you can't even really see, it just adds texture to the quilt and makes it perfectly crinkled. I was so pleased with the way it looked when it came back. You should totally think about sending a quilt to Sarah if you are looking for an East Coast based quilter (Sarah lives in upstate New York).

granny squares 4

I've got to say thank you to Dana at Old Red Barn co for hosting the granny square quilt along, if it hadn't been for that I don't think I'd have got round to making this quilt. I strip pieced my blocks which made it come together so fast, you can find the how-to here.

The deets...
Fabrics are Adventures with Alice by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman and white klona cotton
Binding is a Michael Miller clown stripe in orange.
Backing is steel gray dottie extra wide (108") by Moda Fabrics
Finished quilt size (after washing) 48"x69"

29 comments:

Linda said...

I love your Granny quilt! Great colours and the binding sets it all off beautifully. I have been stalking Grannies for months but still not found time to make one yet ...... Too many other projects on the go and family commitments, and hospital visits of course which rather get in the way of Granny block making. One of these days, though! Hope to see you at FOQ next month.
Linda, Quilt Angel

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love your granny, she's a beauty!

P.S. They've discontinued the extra wide dots? Why?!!!

Mermaid Sews said...

Another fantastic quilt.

Hazel Raison said...

Lovely. I've finally found the time to finish my blocks but have now discovered I haven't enough fabric for the sashing...currently debating whether to order more or uses narrower strips.

Cille said...

Lovely granny :)

Siobhán said...

Oh my gosh, GORGEOUS!! I love that binding fabric, too!

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

Oh my, that is absolutely beautiful!!!

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Love your granny square quilt, very inspiring!

Nicky said...

Your granny is full of fun and I love her stripey binding!

dragonfly said...

OH! It's wonderful! I just finished mine too. I didn't do the actual QAL but had a whole load of fun making it on my Jack Jones!
Just love this pattern and am knocking up some cushions to go with...

Nina said...

What??!! Where are you? When did it not rain for a whole day??

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

It's beautiful Katy!!

Kara-Kara Pumpkineater said...

Pretty, pretty! :)

Kelsey said...

What a beautiful quilt! Love the 30s fabrics :) Doesn't Sarah do an awesome job?! I had her quilt one for me and now I wish I could send all of mine to her!

Pamela Nees said...

This is one very nice quilt! Very "eye-pleasing" and so summery!

Love that stripe for that binding!

And yes, you do inspire! Love it!

Rosa said...

Another fabulous quilt!

Kim said...

This looks so sweet in the 30's fabric - I love it!

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for sew alongs and co-operative weather, it looks great in that 30's line

Flying Blind... said...

Cool granny, draping herself all over the garden!

Cherie said...

Love the quilt! The fabrics all work so great together and with the binding too!
The fabric backing is being discontinued? =O

Trudi said...

Granny looks right at home lounging in the garden with the roses. :) Gorgeous!

CathyK said...

You have inspired me!!!! I am GOING to make one! Do you suggest a pattern? I am pretty much a newbie. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Kay said...

Fab quilt, I particularly lovve the binding as the orange stripe goes zing!

upstateLisa said...

I love the binding!!!!

diane said...

This quilt in these fabrics with the backing and binding all equal perfection. This was a well thought out plan. Lovely finish, Katy!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Katy it's beautiful!! I love grannies and that repro fabric is stunning :)

Jacey said...

It's an awesome finish! I do love Sarah's quilting; the crinkle is good.

Jennifer said...

Your granny squares are beautiful! What size squares did you use?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Another great granny! There are about a gazillion granny quilts I want to make...and start crocheting matching afghans to go with all of them. *sigh* Where do you sign up for more hours in the day?

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive