Saturday, 14 July 2012

life is better with fabric

Hands up who loves text print fabrics? Ok, that's everyone. Me too. I once bought almost a bolt of one timeless treasures text print because I couldn't bear the thought of ever running out. It backed a couple of quilts, and I still have some left.
These beauties are from Sew Me A Song and Sew Fresh Fabrics. Peg and Becca together were Sew Fresh Fabrics but then Becca moved away because of a heap of good things and now has her own store called Sew Me A Song. You can read more about it on the Sew Fresh blog.  I love these 2 girls, both shops have a great selection of different stuff, stuff you might not see all over. Peg's store (Sew Fresh) is full of colour and fantastic bundles for building a stash. Becca's store (Sew me a Song) is full of Japanese fabrics and unusual collections that have that 'zakka' feel. They are my 2 favourite etsy stores. Period.

texts galore

Brenda sent me a flat rate envelope literally stuffed to the gills with flannel scraps. She calls them scraps, but they are really rather generous sized pieces. I like her thinking that anything kind of smaller than a FQ is a scrap. There's probably enough here for a small quilt, which is exactly what this stack will become.  She has a lovely selection of scrap bundles in the store right now. I have never been disappointed with a scrap pack. Not once. They make me so happy.

flannel scraps from Pink Castle

 I just noticed she has Anna Maria Horner folksy flannels in the sale section at $7/yard. This past winter I made a heap of pillowcases for our bed with a yard of flannel perpillowcase. It's Summer now (you wouldn't know it) and I'm still using those pillowcases every day, they're so soft and I can't bear to pack them away until next winter!

It's a double edged sword when you hear a fabric store is closing. There's a whole lot of great bargains to be had, but someone's business has had to close. Too many closing down sales have been happening recently, and whilst I'm happy to get cheap fabric, it makes me feel guilty I didn't do anything to save that shop in the first place.

Venezie Fabrics is one of those stores, and I took advantage of the closing down sale to score some older fabrics I really love to add to my stash, at 50% off (the store shuts for good on July 22nd so hurry!)

venezie designs haul

10 comments:

Di said...

Lovely fabrics. Di x

Amys Crafty Shenanigans said...

It is a shame when a shop closes. I always wonder what the staff do 'next'. I went to the website to check them out and they are closed for inventory and vaction now too.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh I do love Sew Me A Song and Sew Fresh, I got a couple of parcels from them this week too!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love a wonderful bundle of fabrics - enjoy your new stash additions!

Deb Baker said...

It is a tough world out there in retail. I love zakka style fabrics too and have an online store selling fabrics and crafts. I've decided to cut back on the designer fabrics and will now be carrying some harder to find Japanese and zakka style fabrics that you've described above. Will see how they go...

Flying Blind... said...

Lots of lovelies there, and green-eyed monster here x

mascanlon said...

Oh dear, another place to shop online.....how bad can it be? LOL

Isisjem said...

Sew Fresh Fabrics and Sew Me A Song are two of my fave's too. I just got two packets of lovely texty goodness this week from the latter. I'm a sucker for a bit of text and I'd use it in every project if I could!

Cherie said...

What great fabrics! Scraps are never what you think they are from the USA! Shame another shop is closing down =D

Jacey said...

Ooh, lovely stashings! I didn't realize the connection between Sew Fresh and Sew Me a Song. Interesting!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive