Friday, 20 July 2012

Madrona Road

Violet Craft - Michael Miller

Madrona Road by Violet Craft for Michael Miller was one of the collections at Spring Market this May that really grabbed my attention. I really loved the colours, the story behind the line and the way there was a mix of scale that meant you could use the fabrics in all kinds of different ways.

Violet makes clothes, so she is incredibly conscious of scale in fabric - and a couple of the prints were so obviously designed with that in mind - in particular the backdrop in the photo above and the poppy print on a red background (it's really nice red, more orange red than London bus red, warm rather than angry).

madrona road giant grannies

I've been using some of the citrus colourway this week to make more giant granny square blocks (using my strip pieced tutorial but with 5" strips). I can't decide whether these will become 3 pillows or one really big body pillow. I also used an essex linen in steel, which was my second choice of background. Initially I thought I'd use a brown sketch but at the last minute the essex linen showed it's face from the depths of my fabric closet and it seemed a perfect fit.

madrona road giant granny

Brenda has the full collection in stock now. As well as essex linen in steel. And as always you can use KATY15 for 15% off orders over $35 (excluding shipping). I used fat eighths of the citrus colourway (because I split my FQs with Lauli Pops) and a yard of essex linen in steel for 3 blocks that end up just under 20". So, FQs and probably 1.5 yards (because I had leftovers of the linen) would make double that, and so on.

Fatquartershop are expecting the collection in any day now too.

15 comments:

Laura Taylor said...

OOoh! It looks great as Grannies! Go with the body pillow... I ♥ the one you made for Mand :o)

Archie the wonder dog said...

I agree with Laura on all points!

Isisjem said...

This looks like a great line. A bit retro and modern with nice zingy colours that aren't all shouty in your face!

**nicke... said...

i do love this line!

amy smart said...

I love Madrona Road and can't wait to get my grubby paws on some. Perfectly displayed in your giant grannies.

Deb Robertson said...

Haha I woke up the other night and checked instagram (as you do) and saw your blocks and brought some fabric and then snuggled back to sleep. Such lovely fabric

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, yummy, it looks so warm and inviting

Live a Colorful Life said...

I can never get enough of grannies--no matter what, grannies are fab! And Madrona Road looks most excellent!

Flying Blind... said...

Gorgeous granny!

CitricSugar said...

Your blocks are really lovely - you've found a wonderful way to showcase those fabrics (which are gorgeous, by the way!)

Cherie said...

The fabrics are gorgeous! So loving the colours. They really stand out on the granny block with the linen background =D

CathyK said...

So cute! Love the line of fabric!

celticfusionfabrics said...

Hello katy ... I am just wonderin if you got my email regarding sponsering your blog - you are probably up to your tonsils - many thanks and look forward to hearing fromy you. Gwen
www.celticfusionfabrics.com

Very Berry Handmade said...

Lovely block and beautiful fabrics....

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I love your blocks. It's funny, I'd never think to buy that line seeing it in the online shops in its little bundle, but these blocks really make me want it. In fact I need it... :D

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive