Sunday, 15 July 2012

more photos than is strictly necessary

scrap vomit - for me

This quilt is the 3rd scrap vomit quilt I've made. Although technically this is the second, because it was started before (long before) Justine's quilt.

Scrap Vomit - for me

This one is all mine. SV1 was a birthday present for a friend of mine, SV3 was for Justine when she had baby H, so SV2 is staying put. Right here. In my house.

detail

I had a lot of help with this quilt, so many amazing people made blocks or sent 2.5" squares. I'd put a call out on flickr well over a year ago asking if anyone would be willing to make me a block or 2 in return for fabric. Or if they'd swap me their ugly stuff for my nice stuff.  A whole lot of people said they would, which was amazing.

detail

So in this version there are some great fabrics that I have never owned

detail

And some very scary clowns, fussy cut for full effect

detail

A cat that looks like it's had something shoved up it's bum (and isn't best pleased about it)

detail
Sock monkeys and London cabs.

detail

I sent this top (along with the granny squares top) to Sarah in upstate New York and told her to quilt it however she wanted. I would never in a million years have picked a yellow thread, and if she had told me she was thinking of a yellow thread I'd have told her I wasn't keen on that idea, but isn't it perfect? It shows up beautifully on the solids but blends in the prints. I also love the kind of snowflakey spiral design she used as well. I'm so happy that this quilt is mine, and so grateful to everyone that helped me make it.
Time to start a 4th? I think so. Anyone want to join me? The how to can be found here. We could swap ugly fabrics too. I'm not thinking full on quilt along, but if you want to make one alongside me, or maybe a few of us could make blocks for each other to get a variety of uglies then I'll start a thread in the SV appreciation society group on flickr and we can take it from there.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it love it love it thrse are the best quiltto make i will go to flicker and join in
gaye71353@yahoo.com

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

I'll happily join in with you! Fun!

Jennifer said...

I want to play! Your quilt os fabulous!!

Allegory said...

I've still got my box on my desk full of 2.5" squares because I wanted to make one of my own. Swapping some fabric/blocks would be the kick in the pants I need right now to start working on it.

Karamat said...

It looks great!!

I'm in love with my SV quilt. And started a second one before the first was back from the quilter :)

Marion said...

I LOVE it!!! I am so happy that you kept it :) My kids will ask who a quilt is for and I love telling them "ME!!!!" :D
I think the swap/QAL is a GREAT idea!

Hilachas said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I love it! I'm working on my first postage stamp quilt ever and can't wait to get it done. WTG!

Flying Blind... said...

Oooh I could do a Baby-Vomit for my pregnant sister!

mascanlon said...

Ok then! I went and joined on FLickr....I need this quilt for me too!

bhafer said...

Love the idea. I have wanted to start this one for awhile now. Just the motivation I need!

Tiffany said...

How fun! I joined the flickr group and commented. Am looking forward to this - I have had this quilt bookmarked for a LOOOONG time. It's finally time to make it I think :)

doodlebugmom said...

I am going to have to look for your group on flickr...hope there are no more scary clowns! LOL

Katy Cameron said...

Heh, it looks fab, in all it's fugly fabric glory :oD

I'm sure I have some charms I could send you for #4...

aksherry said...

I love your scrap vomit quilts. I would love to make one so much but I have about 2938573 projects in the works right now.

StitchyAddiction said...

I'd live to Katy. I just hope that I'll have time having just moved to the UK (remember me, I mailed you the other day). I love your scrap vomit quilts!

Cherie said...

Oooh that sounds like fun! I have some fabrics to swap too so maybe this would be good for me =D

Also I've added some new fabrics into my swap shop, as well as a new one via Flickr. If you're interested feel free to check them out =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/cheraldines-swap-shop.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibescheraldine/sets/72157630591128322/

Anita said...

Love the quilt...poor kitty :0 and yikes on the clown! I think I would have to make sure his face is not looking at me when I sleep :) I have some really ugly fabric, so would like to swap out too! Can't wait :)

Karen said...

I started a box of 2.5 in squares for a SV quilt, but far too few. I am trying to do only Fig Tree fabrics.

Marian said...

Lovely lovely as usual! So wonderful. I'm in to making my 1st. Can't wait! I may throw all my squares on the floor now!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Haha I recognise a block or two in there! I still haven't finished my first one, but I'd like to get motivated on that so I'm game for some swapping

Emily {Creative Chicks} said...

Dare I say, that the uglier the fabrics, the cooler the quilt?! :)

Jacey said...

Whoa, that clown is CREEPY. I am painfully behind on your blog, so expect a few catchup comments today! I definitely want to make my very own SV someday.

Richard Healey said...

I love this quilt and love doing 2 1/2 inc blocks. Its fun to mix and match and not worry about how they look together.

Brenda - justabitfrayed said...

your quilt makes me want to cry. but I can't decide if they are tears of movement because it's so beautiful or tears of pain because it's so ugly... :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love it and the yellow quilting thread works wonderfully well. Mind you, there are some horrors in there, particularly that clown! Enough to give anyone nightmares *shudder*

RuthDesigns said...

It's a beauty!

So pleased I was involved in this venture, good luck with the next one!

Nicky said...

Now that is really tempting Katy! Could I use all my ugly fabrics in it!?

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love this quilt. And what a great way to use, um, "interesting" fabrics...

nicole said...

That cat fabric is from me. I still have 2+ yards of that fabric haha ;) The clowns are proper scary...

Karen said...

Awesome! The clown is creepy. I adore Sarah and cannot wait to see this done!

Sarah Watson said...

OOOOH hot dang! I am loving that yellow stitching. Good choice Sarah! And good for you for trusting her!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive