Saturday, 28 July 2012

productive days

I've been sorting out my fabric closet into colour order, rather than random stacks of whatever wherever. I will show you pics when I've finished, it's still on-going. I've realised I have a lot more green and blue than anything else, I think it might be the colours I use less rather than the colours I buy the most of.

I decided it was time I organised my stash a little better because of the stash stack club over at Pink Castle fabrics, this month pink arrived, next month it's navy blue (I am seriously lacking in navy blue, so I'm very excited about that). I've been wanting to make a rainbow quilt for a while, I have the pattern in my head, it's just been high enough on the list of to-dos, so hopefully now I'm organised I might get that started.

Anyhow - whilst I'm doing the sorting and tidying I'm also destashing (if you follow me on twitter or instagram you may have spotted it) because I can't actually get my stuff back into the closet it came out of. Why? It fit before.

I'm also cutting scraps as I go as well. Using my trusty Sizzix big shot. This little thing is really very handy for cutting scraps. There's a 2.5" square die which is my absolute favourite and I use all the time. By the end of tonight I intend to have cut all of my scraps into 2.5" squares.  That's not such a huge task, I've destashed a lot of scraps because I know I can't get them all used up before more get created. Once I've got my boxes of 2.5" squares I can make a start on scrap vomit part 4 (& maybe even part 5 too!)!!!!! whoo!!!!

saturday crafting

18 comments:

Sally said...

I don't really have the space, but I think that I would love to have the Big Shot, just for that one exact die that you are using! I have some scraps that I considered cutting into 2.5" squares, but haven't made the time to do the rotary cutting. A die cutter would be perfect!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Oh no! I'm not on twitter or instagram and I missed your destash. If you are thinking of destashing any more American Jane I'm your woman!
And I'm jealous of your cutter - I have claw hand from cutting squares!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Have fun!

Liz DandeliondD said...

Ooooh can you tell us more about the Big Shot? What dies would you say are the bestest? I am longing for a die cutter.

Isisjem said...

What a great way to cut 2.5" squares. I so wanted to do the scrap vomit quilt but the thought of cutting all my squares is putting me off at the moment lol

linda f said...

Katy!

Very cool! I have more pinks and purples due to my kids favorites. Look forward to seeing your scrap vomite quilt.

Enjoy your Blog and instragram!

Have a great day.

Linda

Marian said...

I'm resorting my fabrics in color order today. I noticed I have little to no browns and greens. Crazy amount of pinks...

I'm quite jealous of your fancy cutting machine. I'm also going through my scraps to find good ones for the SV quilt and I bet it'd go a lot faster cutting with one of those!!

P├ętra said...

I like that you're just cutting all your scraps so they're ready to go and I can't wait to see part 4!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Good for you Katy! I'm looking forward to the before? and after pictures :) Why is that when you organize something the neatly folded stuff takes up more space then the messy thrown-in stack? I'm always wondering... :) happy weekend!

Trudi said...

Must be something in the air! I felt shamed into sorting and folding the strays in the studio, I could be missing for weeks at this rate! I've found mountains of Limey green and fresh aqua's, only problem is now I feel another quilt coming on! Look forward to the after shots!

Katy Cameron said...

Heh, I hate that haul it all out and can't stuff it back in issue. BTW, if any of the vomit charms coming your way are too repulsive, feel free to share the love... (just not back with me ;o) )

dolores said...

Hmmm....that's an interesting point you made about having more greens and blues cause you don't use them as much. I have more greens and blues too....and green is my favorite color...but I always seem to be going to my reds and oranges to make something. Maybe that's because I am making more things for others than myself!:)

Cherie said...

Gosh looks like I need to be on instagram! It is really funny how blue and green is the most common colour! I don't quite understand how that even happens. I'm trying to round the colours in my stash up to a more even balance =D

Suz said...

Would really like to see the finished photos - there's a weird sort of fascination in other peoples stashes. And aren't they a bit like groceries in the trolley - they always fit in when you go to checkout, but then you end up with two trolleys full of bags!

peacedgoods said...

Cutting for the SV swap got me looking at my stash, too. when i first started quilting i never bought less that a yard of anything, (more if it was marked down) like they were going to quit making fabric. that was before modern quilting (some of it was still ugly even then) so you can imagine what i have. i started a givaway box. anyway, how 'bout a button for the SV swappers to post on their blogs???

Sarah Russett said...

Katy! Where did you get that die cut? I need to have one! I have a Big Shot and never use it. ( I had originally got to scrap book but I just have way to much to do sewing and knitting.) =)

Sarah Russett said...

And what's your username on Instagram?

Artsy-Craftsy Ivy said...

That's funny--about not being able to get your stuff back into the closet it came out of. I have that same problem. Also, I have an Accuquilt Go Cutter and had the same idea. Only I want to cut my whole stash into 5" squares and make a quilt out of it. I mean one 5" square from every fabric in my stash. I don't think my stash is big enough to get much out of anything smaller.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive