Friday, 31 August 2012

always planning 3 quilts ahead

I am loving the comments on my scraps quilt post. I'm compiling a list of a heap of great patterns and quilts suggested by you guys and I'll post that when I've come up from air from school uniform shopping and getting the kids ready for back to school next week.

I'm currently stalking the mail lady for a few packages. One of them is field study from Anna Maria Horner. I am more excited by this line than anything ever ever ever. Leopard prints. Thank you Anna - I know you designed it just for me, you're a gem. I heart you.

What am I planning on doing with my field study?

This.

spinning stars

Anna Maria's free spinning stars pattern. It's not like I haven't got 3 gazillion other quilts to make or finish or anything. I don't know when I'll get round to it, it's a slight pain in the ass template pattern so it involves a heap of cutting awkward bits and pieces using scissors, but it's big blocks so that means it'll come together pretty fast. Maybe I'll do it as a quilt along, once I've got school sorted and the Hexy MF quilt along finished? Should we? I quite like the idea of doing it scrappier than the pattern suggests. I think field study would look amazing in this pattern, and also chicopee and whilst I'm thinking of fabric lines, the birds and the bees would too. Those rich colours in the kaleidoscope type pattern - so cool.


Ok - I haven't even posted this blogpost yet and already I'm thinking we should totally do a quilt along.
Let's frikking do it! (*pushes everything else that's waiting to be finished off the table and starts planning*)

It's labor day this weekend for my American friends - there's a coupon for pink castle fabrics that's good for 20% off anything all weekend, til Monday. Maybe it's a sign we should all go shopping and buy fabric for the spinning stars quilt? LABOR20 is the code you need!

Quick shopping list for those that fancy joining me (shall we start in a couple of weeks, give you all a chance to buy fabric and stuff?)

Crib size (36" x 54") - 6 blocks
10 different FQs

Throw Size (54" x 54") - 9 blocks
10 different half yards (or 20 different FQs for a scrappier look)

Twin/Full size (72" x 90") - 20 blocks
10 different yards (or 20 different half yards, or 40 different FQs for scrappier look)

Anna Maria has fabric requirements for a queen and king size on the download. I'm not even thinking about anything so crazy as king or queen sized. That's just crazy talk.

Who wants to join me?



31 comments:

amy dame said...

oh gosh, this would be so fun! so far i've resisted any project which required templates, but this might be the deal breaker.

also, LEOPARD PRINT!! omg, i'm so freaking excited!! i can't wait to see field study in person.

Megan said...

Totally IN! I'm in 100% agreement, Birds & Bees looks like a winner on this one.

teacupfaery said...

I love that pattern, but the templates scare me a bit. I really don't like templates and cutting out funny shaped triangly bits. It will look fantastic in Field Study though. I'd like to make the Feather Bed quilt with my Field study, but again, it looks pretty complex. I'll probably just hoard it for a bit.

Isisjem said...

I just bought a couple of field study prints. There are just too many great fabrics out there at the moment and I am supposed to be buying a new sewing machine not buying fabric...sigh. No. Restraint.

Helen Lay said...

I'm in - as I said on twitter I like the one on Anna's website where she mixes plain and patterned fabrics so I think I'm going to do that - scrappy insides, plain rings and then theme the stars, see I'm planning already!

red in oz said...

I'm quilting this in Loulouthi at the moment, I'll try and take a picture tomorrow, I've used a chocolate brown with a small greyish dot for the outside of the octagons, it's going to be a large and luxurious picnic blanket, it's a fantastic pattern and comes together really well for something that looks quite complex. I'm waiting for my field study to arrive, not decided what I will do with it yet though...

Jennie said...

I really, really don't need another project at the moment. But I'd love to make a pink and purple quilt for my Great Aunt for Christmas.... and I am going to the quilt show at Harrogate tomorrow - shopping! So I'm in! If desperate to avoid templates, we could foundation piece the eighths of the block...

heart of charnwood said...

I've just signed up for JackAttack with Lynne, and now here you are tempting me too. I could do with some more techniques under my belt so why the hell not, just crib sized, they're not tooooooo unmanageable then are they!!?!!

SueB said...

Just the temptation I needed, I've been looking at the Field Study bundle for ages and could resist no longer. I may need to calm the blocks down with some low key stuff but it will be a great scrappy quilt. I'm off to print the pattern and play...

Nanette said...

I am such a sucker for your quiltalongs, Katy. I think it's because we have similar taste. So count me in on this one, even though I'm still toiling away on Hexy MF. (Actually, I'm not really "toiling," because I'm enjoying myself, but I have a lot left to do.)

Jess said...

Oh, I've never done a QAL, but this one seems fun. Do you know the code for the Pink Castle coupon?

Meredith Daniel said...

I've made two of these quilts! I love them so much. You are going to love the pattern. It comes together so easily and it is such a fun way to play with fabric placement. I made this one in Little Folks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53630715@N04/6453880933/in/set-72157627351681420 And I made this one in Innocent Crush: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53630715@N04/7188099655/in/set-72157626224742486

Marian said...

Yep. I'm in. P.S. you're a wonderful enabler....!

Elsa said...

I've been wanting to make this quilt for a long time and there's no time like NOW! I've got lots of fabric to play with but I'm going over to Pink Castle to see what's what!

Elizabeth said...

LOVE! I've been considering making this with all of my AMH scraps from previous lines.... And this post might have just pushed that quilt to the top of my "to make next" list!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Well, I DO have the Field Study fabric already...

Darcy said...

I'm in. I already bought the loulouthi for it, downloaded and cut out the pattern - WHEN IT CAME OUT! And it's been sitting since then. Lame right? Bring on the quilt-a-long!

Sarah Strange said...

Oooo I wanna play! This is gorgeous!!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I almost do. Well actually I do, but I'll never finish it. I may not even start it. I do have the fabric though (including the Field study...got that last week ;D), which is a huge plus. It doesn't look too difficult... I could just make a small one... Let's make it a maybe, shall we? :D lol

Karen said...

This is awesome but does anyone think the pattern could be altered for paper piecing? that would be super cooler-est...and less scissors which I fear I no longer know how to use :) I'd volunteer but fear I'd make a mess of it

Nat at Made in Home said...

I am so in! Don't start before a couple of weeks, I will have a lot of energy after the holiday! It wil be dark outside anyway and I need another thing on my to do list!

Tiffany said...

I need another quilt along like I need another hole in my head - but I really like this pattern. What to do >.>

Ann Michelle said...

AGH!!!!!__ Another quilt a long I want to join!!! I'm with Tiffany above... what to do??

Shelley said...

I love this idea! I absolutely love Anna Maria's new line (who am I kidding, I drool over all her collections tee hee) and I can't wait to see your quilt! :0)

Katy Cameron said...

So not much on then ;o)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Good luck with the uniform shopping. My daughter needed all new kit.. Matalan and sainsburys to the rescue! I survived the shopping but I'm not sure my dh will survive the bill.

Gina said...

Oh My goodness ! You know I can't say no and that I am addicted to QAL 's. do you want the good news or the bad news first ...? Ok the good news :I have lots of scraps and this quilt is perfect for scraps ..The bad news : I've just swept everything off the table ! !

peacedgoods said...

Wonder if I can finish my scrap vomit in two weeks???? OK, count me in. I'm kind of looking at quilt dad's blogger bundle...but maybe stuff I have.

Alie said...

I am totally in!!! I was looking for something to do with my stash and now I know! Excited to get this started :D Also, thanks for sharing the coupon.

Anonymous said...

I would love to join the quilt along....I am new at the blogging....wanted to do the hexie but I am 2 days late to order the needed materials....hope to get in on the start of this one....

Elaine said...

Ooh, so very tempting!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive