Tuesday, 7 August 2012

I heart sketch

If you follow me at all you will have heard me bang on about the sketch fabrics by timeless treasures an awful lot.

All of the pictures of projects below are made using sketch as the 'solid'. Personally I think it's the best stuff out there, and I say that hand on heart - I buy it a lot. Actually buy it, I'm not getting it sent to me for free by Timeless Treasures, (although people at Timeless Treasures, if you would like to send me it, I'd be eternally grateful, it'd save me a flipping fortune.)

velveteen star

It adds the kind of texture I like from a not-so-solid-solid. It's printed densely enough to look solid from a distance, but open enough to give it that little bit of yum factor (which is a technical term, you know).

swoon pillow

I love the added depth you can get from using something with a textured print, it doesn't look as flat as if you were using a regular solid. It feels more 3 dimensional, more alive, just more, somehow.

spring carnival pillow

Now, textured blenders are nothing new - they're beloved of traditional quilters and until recently have been a little bit sniffed at by the more modern types.

zombie constellation

The traditional quilters are probably (and justly) laughing right now at the young 'uns finally jumping on the bandwagon and shouting from the rooftops about how awesome a textured blender is.

Giant granny!

Alice at Backstitch has sketch in her shop right now. So that is excellent news for the UK and European peeps, we don't have to order from far, far away lands and hope and pray for the package to slip through customs without a nasty charge. I'm thinking of using purple for my new scrap vomit quilt. Or maybe lipstick. Or possibly tangerine. I don't know - I just want them all. Alice has that covered too - she's got a bundle for sale. Oh pretty bundle (I wouldn't be able to cut into it though - it looks so gorgeous as a stack, doesn't it?)

Overseas folks - you can order from Brenda at Pink Castle or Fat Quarter shop, that's where I have always bought from before now and both are excellent stores with excellent shipping times and service.

20 comments:

Barb said...

what a fabulous post with great color inspiration. I love your big star!!
You have the best fabrics!

Sally said...

I love how you displayed the quilt on the railing of the parking area... So kool...

Heather said...

I've never been able to make myself use solids. They are just so boring. Yay for texture!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love textured blenders, they're so much easier to (hand) sew through and I prefer the way they look to solids so I'm thrilled that there's starting to be more choice in the colours I want. I just need to save up for some sketch!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh I do love the sketch line! It's been on my 'to buy' list for some time, but alas, due to other things I've been on a bit of a fabric diet for a wee while, hopefully I'll get some soon!

Sarah PingsAndNeedles said...

I am such a fan of Sketch and the way you've used it - you're spot on with the 'looks like a solid from far away + added yum factor' vibe ...

I got a bundle for my birthday and used it in my mahusive Swoon and now I'm using it for my EPP ... it rocks!

If I had the budget I would buy a gazillion metres in all colours ...

Alexis said...

I use Sketch (or its cousin, Heath) in nearly every quilt I make. Did you know it comes in FLANNEL now, too? :)

thedodds said...

Very inspired by your sketching! Brill we can get here(...those pesky customs people...shouldn't they be looking for drugs and stuff?!) x

P├ętra said...

Oh I love the tangerine! I have been using Heath in the same way but I think the sketch in a denser pattern and reads more as a solid. Heath Grey is my fav thanks for the tip!

Cherie said...

They are gorgeous fabrics! I love the colours that they come in =D

Sheila said...

Not laughing from the rooftops, but smiling quietly.
One of my all time fave blenders is Crackle, by Kathy Scmitz for Moda, it's been on the go for ages, comes in loads of colours.
Liking the look of Sketch too.

Audrie said...

I've always got a lot of sketch and heath (Alexander Henry) in my stash... love them for the same reasons.

Nanette Merrill said...

That giant star is amazing.

mtnquiltr said...

Thanks for the heads up! I've been sticking with Kona, and spending my time drooling over lovely prints. This is really good info!

red in oz said...

Gorgeous colours, I nearly bought the sketch bundle from PinkCastle but it was out of stock... I have another parcel on the way from them at the moment.

I was wondering about the VAT on parcels coming into the UK, I've had a couple of parcels sent to the UK to my parents place recently as we are moving back there from Aus in the new year and each attracted 12GBP in tax plus a post office processing fee. At that rate it's going to work out cheaper for me to get fabric sent here (no import tax up to $1000) and then shipped out when we move. Is it a fixed rate, or does the charge go up depending on the value of the shipment? Do I *have* to fill a box instead of an envelope ;)... Any other useful shopping tips?

That said, I am collecting all the UK shops you talk about in my blog reader so I am looking forward to having lots of choices locally as well.

Linda said...

Love all the colours you are thinking about for your next Vomit quilt. But perhaps Lipstick is my favourite.

dolores said...

Why not use all of them in your Vomit quilt?:)

Yes, ever since you mentioned Sketch I have paid more attention to it in our shop...we also have something called Colorweave by P&B....awesomeness!:)

Jennifer Bonynge said...

Love your take on things...!

Jacey said...

Agreed. It's the awesomest awesome. I've got several colors in the stash from Brenda, and am wanting to use my piece of lipstick soon.

Patti said...

WOW doesn't even begin to cover it!! Wish I could say something else like AWESOME but I use that word a lot so I won't. I could say GORGEOUS but I use this word a lot too. I WANT it - now this word is definitely overused. So guess I'm just going to have to send your blog to that company you keep on going on about.
Lots of Love
Patti who will become your ummm can't think of the word but you know what I mean. STALKER that's is - not I don't use this word at all usually.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive