Friday, 24 August 2012

I like to cheat a little

If you are anything like me (a little lazy) you would appreciate something that makes you look like you're much cleverer than you really are.

Binding. I like binding, it's my favourite part of the quilt (because it involves hand sewing). I don't like to cut binding on the bias because;

  • I'm lazy and it takes me longer
  • it uses more fabric
  • I have to actually think when I'm doing it lest I make a mistake (it's happened, often)
  • it's a bit stretchy so I then have to concentrate more when I'm sewing it on (and if you follow me on twitter - I'm @ImAGingerMonkey by the way -  you will realise I spend most of the day on there so I can't be distracted by having to concentrate on sewing, can I?)
So I use straight cut binding, cut into strips of 2.5" (I like the slightly wider look it gives you on the back of the quilt). BUT (and here's the big but - lol - BIG BUTT) bias cut stripes are just dreamy, aren't they?

Oh wait - what's THAT? The good folks at Riley Blake clearly read my mind and realised my terrible predicament and designed some bias set stripes so I can still cut my binding straight, and get the effect of bias cut stripes. They're good people.

PicMonkey Collage

Clever folks at Riley Blake.

And clever Brenda for ordering it and then telling me she ordered it knowing I would need a yard of each colour, just in case (it's possible I will need more yards later, once this is gone, you never know when you will find a perfect bias stripe again) Here's my fabric buying tip - when you see something like this that you really love for binding buy at least a yard of it. You will get a couple of quilts out of a yard. Especially if you make smaller lap size quilts (roughly 1/2 yard per lap size quilt).

Gelato is getting quilted and getting her some pretty bias striped binding. She's a happy quilt, aren't you gelato? (yes, she says). I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive so I can make my binding, probably before gelato is even quilted.

gelato

It comes in Pink, Yellow and Green. Yum.

20 comments:

CarolT said...

Look, a fmq pattern from your wallpaper! Pretty qiult.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love those stripes!!!

Alexis said...

Oh thank you for the head's up on those stripes! I also always use on-grain binding. I have actually cut up chevrons to get the "bias stripe" look before - I did this for my Swoon! http://www.materialsandmethod.blogspot.com/2012/02/swoon-complete.html -- but it's a HUGE pain and leads to major errors, and this is SO much better. Off to order yardage. :)

Marian said...

AWESOME! Thanks for the tip. I'll be stocking up on this for sure.

Di said...

Thanks for the low down! Di x

sleepytimequilts said...

What, what now? Bias binding uses more fabric? I don't understand...

Bethe said...

Oh good, I thought I was the only slacker who didn't cut on the bias - I just can't stand wasting great fabric! I use every last bit I possibly can.

Hazel Raison said...

I always cut my binding on the grain too. It's how I was taught to do it for quilts :-s I think I was told to use 2.25" but I prefer 2.5" too.

Trudi said...

Mmm Green! Have you tried making the bias using the square method? You get loads out of a relatively small square. But like you say, stretchy!

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

Yep, I don't use the bias either, way too fiddly! This looks like a funky alternative :)

Ann Michelle said...

Love your humor!!! And now I'm off to search for my bias strips! I wonder if the quilt shop has it?? or Fat Quarter Shop??? or Fort Worth Fabric Design?? oh.. i better get on it! :)

doodlebugmom said...

I also hate cutting bias. I love this fabric...I may need to shop soon before you buy it all!

Katy Cameron said...

Great thinking Riley Blake! And yeah, bias cutting is a total PITA

Chelsea said...

Ooh, that is perfect binding material! Hopefully Riley Blake will get smart and introduce a lot more colour ways.

Colleen said...

Im a straight binding had sewn slow quilter too!

P├ętra said...

I love it. There is something to the diagonal stripe and I never made the bias connection before I'm going to have to get some!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I'm totally with you on the "cheater" stripes. I have a collection...

Heleen Groot said...

Oh my .... it's a really good thing I don't have a credit card. I follow you on Twitter too and if I had my way I would be bankrupted by now....

mascanlon said...

What a pretty little quilt and she'll have sweet binding on the edges...pink maybe or sherbet orange? maybe the soft lime green?

Ann Michelle said...

I have searched for this fabric and can only find it in bundles!!! No Yardage! grrr

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive