Thursday, 31 January 2013

spinning stars of leopard - finished!

Oh this quilt took too long.

What started as a quilt along with great intentions was soon ignored (because I just couldn't get my points matchy matchy).

spinning stars

2013 is the year of finishing my shizzle (Megan has a great hashtag on instagram #finishit2013 - tag your photos to take part in the great finish!)

Trudi quilted this (Chris - I haven't abandoned you, I have a quilt here for you ready to go, I'll probably post it today!) and instead of an all over pattern it's lightly custom quilted. The centres are quilted like a Yorkshire Rose, and then the pointy star bits are quilted with feathers, that take their inspiration from the feather print in Field Study.

She did a great job, and I can't recommend her work enough. It's great having a quilter in the kitchen guild, it makes dropping off and picking up quilt tops quite easy.

leopard print backing

It's backed with a leopard print velveteen from Anna Maria Horner's field study collection, with a stripe of voile just to break up the leopard a little bit and to add extra snuggliness.

It's an amazingly soft and cuddly quilt, quite heavy despite it's small size, because of the velveteen and feels extra luxurious because of it too.

I appliqued little hexagons over each centre point, to hide the messiness. Sneaky, huh? I used this method (cutting a soluble stabiliser instead of paper and the fabrics using my Sizzix big shot and 2 of the hexagon dies - the 1.25" and the 1")

crumpled

The quilt has been bound in a bubblegum pink binding (Moda Bella petal pink) and washed up brilliantly - I didn't pre-wash the velveteen, I didn't pre-wash any of the fabrics, and it's shrunk just enough for wrinkling but not become distorted or twisted. I think I was lucky and the quilting has stabilised it quite a bit and you should probably pre-wash any fabric that isn't a regular quilting cotton. I'm too impatient and can't be doing with waiting for it to dry. Do as I say, not what I do - pre-wash your flannel, corduroy and velveteen. They do shrink. It would be such a shame for you to make something you're incredibly happy with and then ruin it by washing it and it twisting up weirdly. I promise the next quilt I make using substrates I'll pre-wash. Deal?

Finished size (after washing) - 51" square (approx)






16 comments:

Samantha said...

I love it! I am fond of leopard prints and I must say this is a splendid use of them! Nice finish! 2013 is also the year I finish all of my UFOs. I can! I will! :D

Annabellouise said...

The quilt is so lovely. It looks complicated, but worth every stitch. I love the leopard.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's fabulous!

Elsa said...

Oh my gosh ~ this is too wonderful to look at! I didn't think I liked the leopard print and now I've changed my mind!

Annabelle said...

This is some colourful quilt - it pops!

CathyK said...

Love it! And no, it is not sneaky...just CREATIVE!

Juile said...

I just LOVE this. The color combo is amazing!

elsy said...

another feast for the eyes katy.....

Linda said...

Re your idea of hexagons to cover your not so perfect joins. The quilter Dorothy Stapleton says that things aren't mistakes, they are 'design opportunities'. So her maxim is that if you have points that don't match add a pretty button, applique a flower etc at those strategic points. As you found yourself, it works!

liniecat said...

life can have far too many points matchy matchy-
bring on the uniquely interesting lol
A rich huggy cover........whats not to love!!

Di said...

Nice quilt full of texture and colour. I'm sure that Trudi has done a fab job with the quilting too. Di x

jeanne e. said...

this turned out lovely! and i love the hexies over the points...

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the funky leopard printness of this!

mascanlon said...

Clever and such a Ginger Monkey style!

Trudi said...

I love this quilt!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Fabulous! My chosen fabrics for spinning stars are still sitting uncut-- better get my shizzle in gear too.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive