Sunday, 27 January 2013

what's new, British pussycat?

Now, as I mentioned yesterday, the postal prices in the US are going up from tomorrow and for those of us that live in the UK and Europe it will have quite a heavy hitting effect on our potential fabric shopping. The price rise is about $8 - that's 1 yard of on-sale fabric every time we do an order. We can reduce the effect by buying a lot of yardage at once, but what better way to cheer ourselves up than with some local retail therapy?

This bundle of Pearl Bracelets from the village haberdashery should do the trick...



I really need to get down to visit Annie's real life bricks and mortar shop. It looks so wonderful.

Annie has a gorgeous selection of nani iro double gauze. There's also a scarf project for you to try on the blog. Nani iro is not for quilts, although I think you could probably add in the occasional piece, it really is for dressmaking. I love this particular print.


In fact, this picture shows it a little better....

Justine has started a flickr group for Simply Solids so share your solids projects and blocks from the Stellar quilt along. (Free pattern download - here!)

Have you got these clover wonder clips already? Do you look at them and think 'I don't need them at all, they're pointless'? I was a bit like that until I got some and now I don't really know how my life was managed without them. They work for so many different situations - instead of pins for bulky layers, for holding binding in place when you hand finish it,  holding fabric in place for english paper piecing, 'pinning' oil cloth or vinyl fabrics....the list goes on.



Justine also stocks these needles for hand sewing, which are amazing (seriously - I'm not making it up, they make such a difference)


Kate at M is For Make has a wonderful selection of Japanese dressmaking books. I can't sew garments (I will learn - it's my life's mission!) but I love to look through these books, and they make such a gorgeous addition to any bookshelf

The dress is the bottom right of the picture is my favourite style of dress - I have a whole selection of skinny, stretchy, drapey cotton knit dresses. One day I will make one (I say this all the time). I'm going to start out with something less stretchy though. That dress is from this book.



Don't forget that Kate also has Anna Maria's rayon challis which is specifically for dress making.



As well as a whole section of dressmaking fabrics.

The guys at eclectic maker have a great range of essentials - such as wadding, general haberdashery, and interfacings. It's always worth just having a little nose around those other sections to see what's about.


Moda muslin is a lovely, low cost alternative for quilt backs. It also makes for a more primitive looking solid - there are little flecks running through the fabric and it's what we call 'calico'. The fleck free white version is still more primitive than a regular white solid, but both are lovely to use and wash up amazingly the more you throw them in the wash.

Have you got any constellations by Lizzy House yet? I'm going to keep on at you til you buy it.
Alice has it in stock now and I say this every single week - but there are so many great prints you would be a fool not to buy them. The twinkle twinkle print is so fantastic as an alternative to a solid for backgrounds.

It comes in white....


(my favourite) black....


and this beautiful blue....


Don't forget that Monday's are my day on the Sizzix blog, and I'll be back tomorrow with a simple and fast project for you to try (even if you don't have a Sizzix, stop by anyway - you can make it without!)

Before I go I wanted to remind you all about quilt and stitch village and their call for quilts (or embroidered pieces).



The deadline has been extended for entries to March 18th, and it's a great way to show support for our local shows and to show the public what we do.

Will you enter something with me?


9 comments:

heart of charnwood said...

That is brilliant on the extension date for entries, I was struggling to get my first bits done to figure out sizings for the entry, that will give me a bit of space to figure it out. Thx for the info! : )

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love that star print...

Kate said...

So true bout the clover clips, I was very skeptical, but then I tried them, not sure how I ever bound a quilt without them.

Nicky said...

And you can use the clips for frame purses - great for holding the frame and purse body together while the glue sets.

Annabelle said...

Thanks for all the super inspirational fabrics.

Leigh said...

So I have a quick daftish question for you... do show entries have to be original? I'm making a quilt from a Jaybird Quilts pattern constructed entirely from one designers fabric range. Is that 'allowed'? I had a quilt at the Uttoxeter show last year but that was a sampler that I put together myself with random fabrics. Any advice much appreciated! xx

Sarah said...

Thanks for telling us about the muslin potential backing, that might well come in handy!

*Dawn*Violet*Dusk* said...

Constellations is indeed a wonderful line by Lizzy House - I got a large-ish order of Constellations in Blue.....Love it! Can't quite decide what to use it for yet. I have have to get some of the Twinkle twinkle and Moon Phase too :)

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, after seeing all the Quilt Con entries, I'm inspired to maybe try something this year. I'll see how I'm doing by the time the entries close with what I'd like to put in (it's still in its original FQs right now!)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive