Tuesday, 26 November 2013

velveret


Vel`ver`et´
n. 1. A kind of velvet having cotton back. (source)

I'm taking velveret as my new favourite word. It's velveteen, but sounds fancier, so here's the story of my velveret star quilt.....


Back in early 2012 (which feels much longer ago than it is...this year has been a loooooong year) I made 2 of these quilts (using Jeni's tutorial), one for my best friend's 40th birthday, and the other one I ended up using as payment for something (which I instantly regretted). Since then I've lamented the loss of the giant velveteen stars (not the best friend's one - that was a good choice), and was determined to make another for me.

These are the first 2....

best friend's....

velveteen star


the other one (which wasn't as nice, because I really loved that border on the first one I made)....

velveteen giant star


and here's my own brand new (all finished and quilted by magical Troods) velveret star

KG retreat '13


The main difference between them is that the first 2 were made with Anna Maria Horner velveteen and a charcoal sketch in cotton as the background. This one has charcoal sketch in flannel, so it's extra, extra soft. And some of the star bits are also flannel. It's got leopard print binding, and a leopardy star bit - which makes it all the more me - I do love me some animal print, you know. I also love colour, and prints, and lots of both.  I will never be a convert to subtle and subdued, it looks great in other peoples' homes, but not mine. I am all for full on eye bleeding riots of colour and print - so shoot me for that.

Close up of feather quilting by Trudi


Trudi did such a beautiful job on the quilting. She used a polyester aurifil thread (in 5508). Yep you did hear that right - aurifil polyester. If you are a machine quilter, you should give this a go. It's a gorgeous thread, has the slightest sheen that reflects light amazingly well and quilts so beautifully - with no lint. Obviously I can only go by what Trudi says (she has a juki domestic machine and used the poly on that), but I'd sent her the thread to use and she was really happy with it. Poly threads these days aren't the scary stuff they used to be, they have the same kind of strength (density? I don't know the real term here) as cotton and won't tear into your quilt top. You can get really amazing poly threads from the big manufacturers that quilters swear by (Angela Walters, for example, uses poly threads). Trudi gave us a little demo using different weight cottons and polys when we went away on our weekend trip, and they all felt pretty similar under pressure. This poly thread is a 40wt, and it broke under the same kind of pressure as the aurifil cotton 40wt. I am no thread expert, I just know what I like to use when I sew (I piece with a cotton 50wt), and I don't quilt, but I remember how hard polyester threads used to be to break back in the olden days - those that would almost slice your finger off like a cheese wire. Technology has moved on since then, it seems! I've had a few quilts quilted with these new aurifil polyesters and I'm hoping the range of colours grows, including some plain neutrals (please Mr Alex???? A pale grey, a cream, white and black????), as well as a heap more variegateds (I never thought I'd love variegated threads as much as I do, but the subtle variations in colours throughout the finished quilt really add something amazing, I think).

You can currently get 10 different colours (shown below - the one in my quilt is third in from the left). For stockist details check the aurifil website, or pester your local quilt shop to get them in. Seriously, they are beautiful.



Also - have you noticed when I really like something I go a bit crazy and make multiples of that quilt? I've finished 5 star quilts and I have another top unfinished (that I should dig out really). I'm not bored of this pattern just yet, it's fast and it's easy and it's a really good way to showcase large scale prints plus it's a great quilt to make as a gift, because it's a good size (adding borders can make it nicely sized for what we call a double bed over here in the UK which is a bit smaller than a queen, I guess it's what US peeps call a full size bed).

it seems I like this pattern a lot!




30 comments:

QuiltCandy said...

Such gorgeous quilts! I love this design so much, it's on my 'to do' list at the earliest opportunity ;-)

Britt-Inger said...

Those quilts are sew awesome. I think that I must make some similar to yours. Thanks for sharing

Sarah said...

Amazing!!! I love it!!

Ada Kopitopoulou said...

They are all very nice. I love the ones with the dark background, more dramatic!

Sharon Eshlaman said...

Those are so pretty. I just love the black against the vibrant colors. Thanks for sharing.

Kacey said...

You've inspired me to back a quilt in velveret - or maybe even really fine wale corduroy??

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

All gorgeous! Love the new one and glad to see the car park shot again :-)

Isisjem said...

Gorgeous - I have one star quilt cut out ready for me to get stitching and another to cut out asap for other halfs xmas gift...if I can get my act together in time!?

Jeni said...

Glad you finally get to keep one for yourself! :) I bet the velveteen and flannel together is amazing!!

Kay said...

I love this design, really must put it on my to do list.

Judy Fowler said...

Love it! That quilt design has been on my bucket list for about a year. I think it's just moved closer to the top of the list.

Leanne said...

Your new, and old, quilts are beautiful and Trudi does the best job. The threads are also lovely. I totally get how nice it is to make something you love again.

Phyllis said...

I love these quilts, the pattern, the fabrics you used! I so have to make one one day....!

Melinda said...

Katy I loveloveLOVE this!! Yay for keeping it for you! And for riots of colour. xoxx from chilly Toronto!!

sandi s said...

I love your star quilts! I like it with the borders best too. Thank you for the link, I want to make one also.

Trudi said...

Sigh ....... Love that quilt, come to think of it, love mine too!

Flying Blind... said...

Another beauty x

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, velveteen and flannel, gorgeous!

sonia said...

Great you get to keep it. I am so mean I never give my quilts away... It's so painful to depart from them ;) Hope everything feels better in the home front.

Catherine said...

Its gorgeous Katy. I have made one of these too, but now I feel like I need to make lots more!

Liane Weber said...

I love the scale of the star - it's so great to play with block size! I'm trying Gutterman poly thread, and I'm coming around to it - can't beat not having a lint-clogged machine!

Elsa said...

All your quilts are so lovely! I really love using flannel and have yet to use velveret ~ just have to find some to give it a go!
I just got myself a new Bernina and took a class. They suggested poly thread ~ I was kind of surprised. That's all I used to use in the past before I got into quilting. I'll have to give that a go too!

mascanlon said...

I loved the sketch flannels! Just put bubblegum pink on the back of a quilt for my granddaughter so pink and cuddly!

Gwendellyn said...

You definitely needed one of these for yourself! I can see the appeal in the design - it's so striking and like you say, perfect for "showing off" fabric. Plus now you have an almost-matching quilt with a friend! Very cute ♥

angharad handmade said...

Gorgeous quilting, the variegated thread looks fantastic - it's not something I'd ever thought to use. And sketch, perfect to set off that riot of colour.

Adrienne @ Chezzetcook Modern Quilts said...

I have two of these tops waiting to get quilted right now. Completely smitten with them. Love yours. Especially the pieced borders!

Beki said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE and the leopard print binding.....................Well, I LOVE that too, I've been adding some leopard print to my EPP today.
Wish I had the patience and talent to attempt a quilt like this!

Nanette Merrill said...

I really really want to make this star.

Annemieke said...

Very nice pattern, good idea to use such big pieces, I like that. The border is a good choice and very complementary to the top.
Groetjes
Annemieke

diane said...

The border just makes your star quilt all that more beautiful. Thanks for the info on the thread. I need to try it.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive