Wednesday, 26 March 2014

a finish? Surely not

Work is going well - I'm still learning lots, and have yet to learn the biggest part of my job which will be layouts and constructing magazine pages. There's a lot of apprehension on my part about that bit, being a lot useless with anything techy, but I'm sure I'll get there and there's far more able people to guide me. Some days I have very little to do except twiddle my thumbs and beg the lovely house photographers to take some quick pics of my recent quilt finishes (which is pretty handy, actually) 

Here's a completely unedited and very quickly taken pic of my 30s repros scrappy trips quilt, on a scruffy ladder we found lying around. I love this quilt, I love all the fabrics (which are a mix of repros and repro like prints from all over the place but including Jessie's shop and Simply Sweet Fabric), I love the way Trudi quilted it in simple figure 8 loops. It's my favourite of all the scrappy trips I made last year, and I did make quite a few, so that's saying something! The backing is an extra wide that Audrie got for me (from the shop she works in, or worked in...she may have left now since she moved house). You'll be able to get the same print in a little while from Fat Quarter Shop (April, in fact). I pre-washed it, because it's red and I wasn't sure the colour would hold up too well. It didn't shed too much dye, actually, but I'm glad I took the time and effort to pre-wash (I can be lazy where that's concerned).


thank you to Rae from work for taking the photo!

I'm very much missing twitter and instagram, and I'm hoping once I get more into my stride I'll be a bit more chatty on work days. There's a definite radio silence when I'm in the office. I can practically see the tumbleweeds (although that is more likely to be dust bunnies from the fat cats' fur that is all over my house)

ps - Love Sewing Mag has a website now, and there's a competition to win a Janome sewing machine, plus the 3 issues for £6 subscription offer (which isn't international - sorry!) so head on over and enter!

Today I have the super exciting task of cleaning the house. Downstairs is done, I'm off to do bedrooms and bathrooms. Don't hate me too much for my thrilling life, I know it's pure rock and roll!

14 comments:

Kerry Wilkinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pennydog said...

You have to layout your own pages?! Well if you need some tips in InDesign it happens to be my second favourite software (after EQ7) so give me a shout if I can be of any help!

Jodi said...

So nice that your job is going well! I love your retro quilt, and the quilting is fab! Have fun with that housework - ugh! Someday I vow I am hiring myself a housekeeper - more time to sew!!!

dolores said...

I want access to a pro photographer!!!:)

Can you come do my bathroom or some shovel the snow off our walkways. One day Spring will come to Virginia!!:)

DIane Warburton said...

Ta muchly for the heads up about the Janome and shock horror! It's actually a UK mag, so I'm eligible! So not only have I been able to look at your gorgeousioso quilt but also found out about a new British mag for sewers (love typing that!) and there's a chance I'll get a sewing machine too. That's not a bad 5 minutes spent :-) Hope your hubby is doing ok these days xx

Pippa Parsons said...

lol I've subscribed for it to be delivered to my mum she'll read it and then send it to me or bring it over when she comes :)

Flying Blind... said...

Housework!?

Andi said...

So you have access to your own photography team? Fancy!!
Love your scrappy trip very much xx

QuiltCandy said...

Glad to hear the job's going well and how handy to have a quilt photographer near by! Lovely photo of a fab quilt. I say forget the housework and make another.

Katy Cameron said...

Signed up. Housework seems a little extreme for your days off though...

Trudi said...

It's my favourite too! X. Lovely pic!

Kay said...

Love the scrappy trip!! Enjoy your housework, at least it feels good when it is done. xx

Elsa said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your job! Learning new things is a challenge, but it must be lots of fun!
love the photo of your quilt ~ how nice to have a professional photographer to take them!

Josie said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous, I wish I had a handy photographer. I sometimes feel it takes me longer to get nice pictures for my blog than the actual item took to sew!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!